Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Diving into first

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by DonnieS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

In a recent high school game, my dd was called out twice at first in plays where she clearly touched first before the defensive player touched first. In both cases, she dived into first. After the second screwup, the first base coach asked the base ump for clarification since it was obvious dd beat the throw - he said 'I called her out because its illegal to slide at first.' Our coach had to be restrained - had I known what he said, I would have had to be restrained. I have been carrying a rule book for the next time i see that blue.

Do any of you guys know where he is getting something like this?

Thanks.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 pm

DonnieS wrote:Do any of you guys know where he is getting something like this?

I would refer to Fifteen's avatar for this answer. ;)
Sftbll4ever

by DonnieS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:

:?:
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SnocatzDad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:33 pm

Question is which rule book are you carrying??

If this is a High School game is it under NFHS rules?? Has you school district layered on some extra rules?? We have a MSHSL that has rule additions and doesn't publish the book just supplies it to the High School coaches and umpires.

For Instance, Our MSHSL added the ruling this year that if you leave the bat over the plate on a bunt attempt it is a strike regardless of whether you offer or not.

I'm not saying he's right, he's probably wrong, but I'd check with the local HS UIC first. Maybe some HS kid broke thier wrist sliding into first last year and sued the school district. Who knows.
SnocatzDad

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

DonnieS wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:

:?:

Uhm, that would be the avatar of the guys sitting on the toilet and exploding with the poop finally coming out!!! :D
Sftbll4ever

by SnocatzDad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

do they coach sliding into 1B in your area? I see this maybe twice a year, not twice in a game.
SnocatzDad

by DonnieS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:do they coach sliding into 1B in your area? I see this maybe twice a year, not twice in a game.

Absolutely not. Only seriously deranged kids do this. She lives here.

We were playing the #1 ranked team in the state (in our division 4A, second largest) and she was determined to get on base. I have showed her the stats that say its faster to blah blah blah, and diving into first is dangerous and blah blah blah, she says 'Sure dad! ' and will probably do it again, soon.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coolstuff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm

DonnieS wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:do they coach sliding into 1B in your area? I see this maybe twice a year, not twice in a game.

We were playing the #1 ranked team in the state (in our division 4A, second largest) and she was determined to get on base. I have showed her the stats that say its faster to blah blah blah, and diving into first is dangerous and blah blah blah, she says 'Sure dad! ' and will probably do it again, soon.

So, the fact that she will probably be called out again for sliding into first is *still* not a deterrent? Sounds like an attitude problem to me.
coolstuff

by DonnieS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 pm

coolstuff wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

So, the fact that she will probably be called out again for sliding into first is *still* not a deterrent? Sounds like an attitude problem to me.

Its an attitude problem that has to do with being incredibly aggressive.

Only one blue has called her out - she has done it many times on many different fields and most of the time, is safe.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MDSoftball » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:Question is which rule book are you carrying??

If this is a High School game is it under NFHS rules?? Has you school district layered on some extra rules?? We have a MSHSL that has rule additions and doesn't publish the book just supplies it to the High School coaches and umpires.

For Instance, Our MSHSL added the ruling this year that if you leave the bat over the plate on a bunt attempt it is a strike regardless of whether you offer or not.

I'm not saying he's right, he's probably wrong, but I'd check with the local HS UIC first. Maybe some HS kid broke thier wrist sliding into first last year and sued the school district. Who knows.

uhhhh, NFHS adopted that rule this year.
MDSoftball

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner