Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Diving into first

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm

THREADNAP:
DD's College Coaches said thay don't want outfielders diving for balls ... that you get there much faster if you stay on your feet ... I say you don't even get there IF it's necessary to dive ...

EDIT: Re-read this and want to clarify ... I say you don't even get there by staying on your feet if it's neccessary to dive ...
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:24 pm

3Bsnag wrote:We were talking about diving into 1B on another thread way back. I believe it has its place and people thought I was crazy.

Some umpires will always give the out if it's close on a run through. Not only is diving faster, but the umpires get out of their groove and will really watch closer since the dive into first is different. We always saved it for a do or die situations though.

Good for her for being that aggressive!

There is little as unimpressive as senseless as a BR diving at 1B.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DonnieS » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:33 pm

For those who have been involved in more than rec, one common reason to dive is a first baseman is in front of the bag, not in contact with the bag, catching a ball thrown high, chest or whatever and has to tag the runner - diving under that tag gets you on base.

From what I have seen, at least in my kid and one other who has decent speed, they are leaning forward, head down and trying to beat the fielder to the base with a dive is another case.

Regarding being over aggressive, I was told by college coaches to leave it alone, they can work with over aggression, but cant put it into kids who dont have it.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 am

DonnieS wrote:Regarding being over aggressive, I was told by college coaches to leave it alone, they can work with over aggression, but cant put it into kids who dont have it.

Zackly ... I'd rather see 10 mistakes from over agression than one from being lazy ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
DonnieS wrote:Regarding being over aggressive, I was told by college coaches to leave it alone, they can work with over aggression, but cant put it into kids who dont have it.

Zackly ... I'd rather see 10 mistakes from over agression than one from being lazy ...

Her basketball coach would talk to the team - "OK Team - I need 110% effort out of everyone, except you xxxxxxx, down to 150%"
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 pm

DonnieS wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Her basketball coach would talk to the team - "OK Team - I need 110% effort out of everyone, except you xxxxxxx, down to 150%"

TFF! :lol:
GIMNEPIWO

by Blind Squirrel » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:20 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:THREADNAP:
DD's College Coaches said thay don't want outfielders diving for balls ... that you get there much faster if you stay on your feet ... I say you don't even get there IF it's necessary to dive ...

I would be interested to know how Jim Edmunds feels about this.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nzane » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Diving into 1B seems so much slower to me. Running thru the bag, you don't slow down, while sliding/diving, you do.
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by DonnieS » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Nzane wrote:Diving into 1B seems so much slower to me. Running thru the bag, you don't slow down, while sliding/diving, you do.

To me as well, nzane, but who are we but dads.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Tell her if it was faster, Ricky Henderson would have done it.

:lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner