Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

fourth out

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by anonlooker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:17 am

Cuz it carries over to the next inning... everybody knows that, you knucklehead!! :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Bretman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Maybe I'm having a brain fart now ... but I can't think of a reason why the 4th out would matter if a runner didn't score ...?

It wouldn't if some runner hadn't scored on the play. I'm not saying that a fourth out appeal can only be made IF a runner scored (it would be moot because it would have no effect on the play).

The ASA rule says that the fourth out appeal can be made only on the runner who has scored.

If it was against a different runner, not the one who actually crossed the plate, and the appeal was at a base to which that runner was forced, then that would negate the run- under other rule sets. But under ASA rules, that appeal would not be allowed.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 am

Bretman wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Maybe I'm having a brain fart now ... but I can't think of a reason why the 4th out would matter if a runner didn't score ...?

It wouldn't if some runner hadn't scored on the play. I'm not saying that a fourth out appeal can only be made IF a runner scored (it would be moot because it would have no effect on the play).

The ASA rule says that the fourth out appeal can be made only on the runner who has scored.

If it was against a different runner, not the one who actually crossed the plate, and the appeal was at a base to which that runner was forced, then that would negate the run- under other rule sets. But under ASA rules, that appeal would not be allowed.

Being a newb I'm not good with the ASA Book yet ... we are you finding that?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Bretman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am

See rule 5-5-C and Rules Supplement #1 (Appeals), section M.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner