Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Player Ejection

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by greenandblue » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:34 am

During our high school game last night....

Our defense is leaving the field after a 3rd out. Our 3rd baseman is walking between 3rd base and the pitcher's circle. The offense's runner that was on 2nd base knocks down our 3rd baseman. Our 3rd baseman gets up and pushes her. The plate umpire sees her push the runner and ejects our 3rd baseman. My question to the umpires that call high school games is... are you obligated to report the ejection to the powers that be or is it up to you to do so? If you do have to report it, do you have to explain that you didn't see what precipitated the cause for ejection? Oh, and the base umpire that was still standing between 2nd and 3rd didn't see it either. He claimed he was still looking at the play at first (which was the 3rd out)

Is this a rule that could vary from state to state?
kmaca
greenandblue

by Comp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:05 am

I believe the rules are pretty uniform from state to state. If the umpire ejects a player from a game, they are required to file a report on the incident with the governing body. After an ejection, the person who was ejected is also not allowed to participate in the following game.

Yes, the umpire will describe what he saw, but obviously can not describe anything he didnt see. If the governing body believes that the act was serious enough that they need more information, they can ask for more, but in this case it just sounds like the player will have to sit the next game and remember not to retaliate next time. How many times have you seen on tv where the person that initiated isnt the one who gets penalized, it is the person that retaliated who gets busted for it. The best thing that could have happened in this situation was for the player to have just kept her cool, and the coach should have gone to the umpire and told him that # whatever just knocked my player to the ground and would appreciate it if you could keep an eye on things.
Comp

by Ace » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Or, instead of telling the umpire what happened, tell your pitcher.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Ace wrote:Or, instead of telling the umpire what happened, tell your pitcher.

A few years back we were often pitted against this team that had no class ... pulled crap all the time like this and worse ... I told the gals, if we were coming to bat that the best way to stop it was to beat the piss out of the ball ... if we were going in the field, I would check my self help book, " How to Manage Like an Ace " and advise them accordingly ... :lol: EDIT: ( Disclaimer ) But now that I am Umping some I see the error of my ways and feel very very bad ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I've never filed a report on a player ejection in HS Ball. I probably would have mentioned this one to the UIC. The retaliating person getting dumped/caught/punished is pretty common in all sports and all levels IMO.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by greenandblue » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe it's kind of like a policeman seeing that you have crashed into something because you were driving recklessly, didn't witness the recklessness but gives you a reckless driving ticket anyway?

And the real reason we're bummed about the ejection....district playoffs start on Tuesday and we aren't exactly flushed with other players that are able to play 3rd base, since she'll be out. But we are going to tell the girls to win the district just so we can face this same team in regionals.
kmaca
greenandblue

by umpinva » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:17 pm

wadeintothem wrote:I've never filed a report on a player ejection in HS Ball. I probably would have mentioned this one to the UIC. The retaliating person getting dumped/caught/punished is pretty common in all sports and all levels IMO.

VHSL (Virginia High School League) wants a report of all ejections. My assignors want the report within 24 hours and then the assignor forwards the umpire's ejection report to the school's AD.

From the VHSL Website:

Ejection reports

This is a reminder that schools must file ejection reports within two (2) working days of an ejection. The school report must be filed on the school report form. This form can be accessed by at http://www.vhsl.org. Reports should be emailed to Tom Zimorski at tzimorski@vhsl.org.

Please note that a confirmation email, which you should retain for your records, will be sent. If you do not receive the confirmation email within three days of submitting a report, please call to follow-up on your submission. If there is a conflict in whether or not a report was submitted, credit will only be issued if proof of submission can be supplied. (A copy of the school report alone is not proof of submission; proof must be accompanied by the email confirmation that the report was received or other documentation indicating receipt in the VHSL office). Schools submitting reports by fax and/or U.S. mail do so at their own risk. Failure to receive a report from the officials does not relieve the school of responsibility for filing a report. Please be aware that schools will be fined for not following proper reporting procedures, and credits will not be given for failure to submit a report or for submitting a report on the incorrect form.
umpinva

by Comp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 pm

If there were extenuating circumstances and you have witnesses, the governing board can reverse the ruling on the ejection and let the player participate.

Long story, but daughters school team coach got into it with the ump and he took it out on the girls. He ended up ejecting our only 2 pitchers and the next game was the first game of the championship tournament. Coach got every parent on site, including parents from the other team to detail what had happened and submitted it to the governing board. After reviewing all the witness statements, the board ended up reversing the ejections and let the girls participate in the next game.
Comp

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Well hopefully they let her play. A little pushing.. big deal. Happens ever few plays in other sports. She deserved her ejection.. I'm not sure it should cost the play-offs. Hopefull the board does whats right; multigame post season suspension for a retaliatory push is a little steep IMO.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Tucson » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Sounds like a good reason to video tape the games.
Tucson

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner