Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

What is the correct ASA rule here?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hotwheels » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 am

Just going off of memory here but if some of you umpires know what is the rule for sure I would like to know....

We had this happen yesterday......Runner on 2nd base and right handed batter is up and takes a pitch.....Runner on 2nd steals 3rd base, catcher pops up to throw and batter is in her way and is called for batter's interference. The umpire called it right in my book by stating that the batter didn't make an attempt to get out of the way. Their coach was under the impression that the box belongs to the batter and she doesn't have to get out of the way. They argued and he tossed the coach....Which I disagree with by the way.....The opposing coach wasn't yelling or anything like that but got tossed.....

Either way, doesn't the rule state that the batter MUST make an ATTEMPT to get out of the way???? Or am I wrong? Call workied in our favor but I am curious if I am right that the rule is stated that way.....
hotwheels

by Coach11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 am

Don't have a book in front of me....but my understanding is that unless the batters actions caused interference, there is none, and she is entitled to remain within the box.

Attempting to move out of the box and interfering with the play can be called as obstruction.

Not having seen it, but going by your brief description, it sounds as though the ump may have blown the call.
Coach11

by MTR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am

hotwheels wrote:We had this happen yesterday......Runner on 2nd base and right handed batter is up and takes a pitch.....Runner on 2nd steals 3rd base, catcher pops up to throw and batter is in her way and is called for batter's interference. The umpire called it right in my book by stating that the batter didn't make an attempt to get out of the way. Their coach was under the impression that the box belongs to the batter and she doesn't have to get out of the way. They argued and he tossed the coach....Which I disagree with by the way.....The opposing coach wasn't yelling or anything like that but got tossed.....

Base solely on what you have offered, the umpire made the wrong call. In fact, the reasoning is completely opposite of what it is and should be. The batter does NOT have to abandon the box for the catcher to make a throw. However, the box itself is not a safe haven for the batter. The rule (ASA 7.6.O) states the batter is out "when actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box." Inaction does not equal "actively hindering". Now, if the batter actually did something to cause the INT (stepping in the catcher's way, moving the bat in a manner that interfered with the catcher, etc.), then INT would have been the appropriate call.

Either way, doesn't the rule state that the batter MUST make an ATTEMPT to get out of the way???? Or am I wrong? Call workied in our favor but I am curious if I am right that the rule is stated that way.....

You are wrong. :mrgreen: As stated above, moving in any manner other than how a batter is to move, is the last thing a batter should do.
MTR

by hotwheels » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:01 am

Sorry,

I should've been a little more clear....She stood there like a statue and in doing that she was in the way of the catcher attempting to make the throw
hotwheels

by wadeintothem » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am

Just going off of memory here but if some of you umpires know what is the rule for sure I would like to know....

We had this happen yesterday......Runner on 2nd base and right handed batter is up and takes a pitch.....Runner on 2nd steals 3rd base, catcher pops up to throw and batter is in her way and is called for batter's interference. The umpire called it right in my book by stating that the batter didn't make an attempt to get out of the way. Their coach was under the impression that the box belongs to the batter and she doesn't have to get out of the way. They argued and he tossed the coach....Which I disagree with by the way.....The opposing coach wasn't yelling or anything like that but got tossed.....

Essentially, a batter in the box may not take any action to actively interfere with the catcher.
She does not have to move, but if her movement put her in a position to interfere (even within the box) that is likely interference. Intent is not an issue.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Bretman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 am

"Standing there like a statue", inside the batter's box, is the best option and the phrase I often use to help explain this.

Immediately following a pitch, the batter should be exactly right where the rules require her to be- in the batter's box. If the catcher wants to make a throw to play on an advancing runner, the rules afford the batter some protection as long as she stays relatively in the same spot. It's up to the catcher to throw around her, or step up or back to create her own throwing lane.

If the batter is moving around- even if she's still in the box- and that movement interferes with the catcher's play or her throw, then that is interference.

Additionally, if the batter interfers with the catcher's play or throw against an advancing runner while she is out of the batter's box, that is interfrence. So, the best option really is to stay put and hold your ground.

Where people get confused and try to apply the "she has to get out of the way" argument has to do with a completely different scenario. While the batter can hold her ground following a pitch and a throw against an advancing runner there are cases where the batter does have the requirement to "get out of the way". For instance, if a runner is advancing to home, say on a wild pitch or passed ball, then the batter must vacate any area needed for the defense to make the play. This is a different situation, covered by a different rule and the batter has a different obligation.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by hotwheels » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks to everyone for the input!
hotwheels

Return to The Umpire Corner