Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Junior Umpire Program

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sbal669 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 pm

My daughter wants to be a junior umpire. Does anyone have information on how to get started?
sbal669

by Comp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Talk to some of your local umpires, find out what associations they are working for and when and where they hold clinics and training.
Comp

by shagpal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Get some gear, and work on timing like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VtQjrcw7s
shagpal

by McGee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 am

Our local ASA rec league has a successfull junior umpire program where older and girls and alumni go through training and do games in the younger divisions. The junior umpires are great role models for the younger players and it is a worthwhile program to investigate.
You need someone to head the program, conduct training and to watch and evaluate the girls as they learn the job. You need to educate the coaches on the goals of the program and let coaches and parents know that beratting the junior umpires is not tolerated.

It is a great way for players to earn money, develop leadership skillls and act as role models for new pplayers. Get it started in your league today.
McGee

by Nicelag » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:20 pm

There are basically two ways to go. You can go through your local ASA league and umpire within that league, or go through an umpire organization that contracts out through several leagues. Here is my opinion on both:

The local league route is okay. My problem with it is that too often the leagues have too much control. By that I mean (trying to be gentle here but it is what it is) they dictate what rules are enforced as well as when and where they are enforced. Kind of like daddy ball with umpires if you get my drift. The ones that call certain coaches way get more games. Harsh but true. In this environment I don't think you learn as much about the rules or there enforcement as you could.

The umpire organization route will allow you to work several leagues and levels. This allows you to learn more about the rules as well as how and when to apply them. I have found this route to have a better mentoring program, and they have regular training and monitoring programs. Plus, more opportunities for work.

So, with that being said if you just want to ump a few games and make a little cash then go either way, but if you want to get really good at your craft, and maybe go on to ump high school and / or college ball someday, go the route of the umpire organization. You will be much more rounded with the greater exposure to different leagues and people. JMO

Mike
Nicelag

by sbal669 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:27 pm

McGee wrote:Our local ASA rec league has a successfull junior umpire program where older and girls and alumni go through training and do games in the younger divisions. The junior umpires are great role models for the younger players and it is a worthwhile program to investigate.
You need someone to head the program, conduct training and to watch and evaluate the girls as they learn the job. You need to educate the coaches on the goals of the program and let coaches and parents know that beratting the junior umpires is not tolerated.

It is a great way for players to earn money, develop leadership skillls and act as role models for new pplayers. Get it started in your league today.
sbal669

by Anti-Clone » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 am

sbal669 wrote:My daughter wants to be a junior umpire. Does anyone have information on how to get started?

Where?
Anti-Clone

by lady blue » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Where do you live? GSJUA goes from just south of Galt to just north of Fresno and from teh foothills to Tracy. We are always looking for new umpires. We will have our first clinic in February.
lady blue

Return to The Umpire Corner