Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:So when a Catcher throws to first base when there is no play it is DMC but when an Outfielder throws to second base and there is no play it is not DMCF ? If it is a TYPO and she was rounding first and in a jog, not retreating to second; INT seems quite a stretch.

Assuming you are referring to when a retired batter runs toward first when not permitted on what is perceived as a U3K, that exemption from the rule is specific in the book. Don't blame the umpires for that call, it wasn't their idea.

When the rule calling a retired runner continuing to run interference hit the books, there were so many INT rulings for players attempting to advance to 1B when the U3K rule was not into effect, coaches went crazy. It was their panic, and I presume lack of confidence in teaching the players the rule that caused the exemption on the U3K to be added.

But that exemption only applies to a retired batter on a U3K, not on a retired batter-runner or runner on a ball to the OF.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:So when a Catcher throws to first base when there is no play it is DMC but when an Outfielder throws to second base and there is no play it is not DMCF ? If it is a TYPO and she was rounding first and in a jog, not retreating to second; INT seems quite a stretch.

Assuming you are referring to when a retired batter runs toward first when not permitted on what is perceived as a U3K, that exemption from the rule is specific in the book. Don't blame the umpires for that call, it wasn't their idea.

When the rule calling a retired runner continuing to run interference hit the books, there were so many INT rulings for players attempting to advance to 1B when the U3K rule was not into effect, coaches went crazy. It was their panic, and I presume lack of confidence in teaching the players the rule that caused the exemption on the U3K to be added.

But that exemption only applies to a retired batter on a U3K, not on a retired batter-runner or runner on a ball to the OF.

I realize that ... I also realize there is a big HTBT element ... But in the OP the runner is described as jogging into second ( unless we take it at face value and the runner was actually retreating to 2nd ) ... A fly ball caught by F8 with runners at 2nd & 3rd, either F4 or F6 are the exterior cut-offs and either F1 or F3 are the inetrior cut-offs going home with what is now 2 outs ... The BR runs hard through first and takes her turn, the fly ball is caught she slows into a jog as the throw comes into the infield and either F6 or F4 think they have a play at 2nd ? If she was running hard into the bag, yeah sure : possible INT ... But after a fly ball is caught and the BR slows to a jog sounds like she was just doing what she was supposed to do ... She just can't stop and dis-appear, right ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I realize that ... I also realize there is a big HTBT element ... But in the OP the runner is described as jogging into second ( unless we take it at face value and the runner was actually retreating to 2nd ) ... A fly ball caught by F8 with runners at 2nd & 3rd, either F4 or F6 are the exterior cut-offs and either F1 or F3 are the inetrior cut-offs going home with what is now 2 outs ... The BR runs hard through first and takes her turn, the fly ball is caught she slows into a jog as the throw comes into the infield and either F6 or F4 think they have a play at 2nd ? If she was running hard into the bag, yeah sure : possible INT ... But after a fly ball is caught and the BR slows to a jog sounds like she was just doing what she was supposed to do ... She just can't stop and dis-appear, right ?

The OP asked about the rule. And that is what is being offered. Of course, it is a HTBT.

I agree the defense should know better. Then again, so should a batter concerning the U3K. Then again, the coach should be instructing the retired BR she was out. Then again.,,,,,,,well, you get the point. Personally, I think it is a shame that rules of the game have been changed to account for what players may or may not know or be able to perform.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I realize that ... I also realize there is a big HTBT element ... But in the OP the runner is described as jogging into second ( unless we take it at face value and the runner was actually retreating to 2nd ) ... A fly ball caught by F8 with runners at 2nd & 3rd, either F4 or F6 are the exterior cut-offs and either F1 or F3 are the inetrior cut-offs going home with what is now 2 outs ... The BR runs hard through first and takes her turn, the fly ball is caught she slows into a jog as the throw comes into the infield and either F6 or F4 think they have a play at 2nd ? If she was running hard into the bag, yeah sure : possible INT ... But after a fly ball is caught and the BR slows to a jog sounds like she was just doing what she was supposed to do ... She just can't stop and dis-appear, right ?

The OP asked about the rule. And that is what is being offered. Of course, it is a HTBT.

I agree the defense should know better. Then again, so should a batter concerning the U3K. Then again, the coach should be instructing the retired BR she was out. Then again.,,,,,,,well, you get the point. Personally, I think it is a shame that rules of the game have been changed to account for what players may or may not know or be able to perform.

Agreed ... Curious though:
1.) In the OP, R2 was already safe at 3rd ... If there is no play to be made on this, you still have a possible INT ?
2.) Suppose the BR has rounded first, sees the ball caught by F8 as is jogging back towards 1st base ... The ball comes in to the cutoff who thinks they have a play at 1st base ... A play is made on the retired BR ... Possible INT ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:40 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote: 1.) In the OP, R2 was already safe at 3rd ... If there is no play to be made on this, you still have a possible INT ?

Probably not, but then again, I would have to see the play. Being safe @ 3rd doesn't stop the play

2.) Suppose the BR has rounded first, sees the ball caught by F8 as is jogging back towards 1st base ... The ball comes in to the cutoff who thinks they have a play at 1st base ... A play is made on the retired BR ... Possible INT ?

Nope, assuming the retired player doesn't do anything to try to get the fielder's attention and draw a throw.
MTR

by shagpal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:27 am

the BR is already out on the caught fly, so the CF that made the catch knows or had better know. most CF will throw to the cut-off at second just to get the ball back in the shortest quickest path, and IF will usually call where to throw the cut if not.

confusion happens, its built into the game. ever see a blue call time to sweep a plate with no runners on? silly, but it happens to everyone at games.

if the call was INT, this is over officiating. interference rules like this are made to clean the game up, not to cause even more confusion.

now if the throw was a live ball appeal for the runner on 2nd leaving before the touch of the catch, then makes total sense. then that being the case, the ones that were really confused was dear old mom or dad OP.
shagpal

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner