Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

DEFO/FLEX PLAYER..HOW DOES iT WORK???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Jalamander » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm

jefe wrote:
Jalamander wrote:
iBCOACHT wrote:I would like to have explained to me the "legal" way to utilize the DEFO/FLEX player. Can any one help please???
Several have given you the rules governing the DP/FLEX positions. But, why would you want to use the DP/FLEX?

The OP was a young female rec all star coach trying to understand this going into a tournament weekend back in spring(note orginal posting date right b4 Memorial day weekend). Nice kid but she is probably long gone by now.
Wow! Didn't dawn on me to look at the posting date of the OP.
But, your explanation is what I figured when I asked the question of why she would use the DP/FLEX option. She probably didn't know much about advantages/disadvantages of using the DP/FLEX. I suspected someone told her she ought to be using it and she should bone up on it before her next game.....which was 2 hours away or something like that. :roll:
Jalamander

by residentump » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Jalamander wrote:
iBCOACHT wrote:I would like to have explained to me the "legal" way to utilize the DEFO/FLEX player. Can any one help please???
Several have given you the rules governing the DP/FLEX positions. But, why would you want to use the DP/FLEX?

There are many different possibilities, but here are but three of them:

a) The easy one. You have a stud defensive player (usually a pitcher) who can't hit a lick. She is your Flex. You have someone else hit for her (the DP). This is the softball version of the American League.

b) You have a player who can play defense very well (usually a pitcher) and also play offense very well, we'll name her the DP. You also have someone who plays defense very well, but not very good on offense (usually a pitcher), we'll name her the Flex. Once the lineup cards have been exchanged and set in stone, you put the DP in to play defense for the Flex (a substitution).

If everything goes well, you keep it the way it is. If the DP's defense is struggling, you put the Flex back in to play defense and allow the DP to hit only or play elsewhere.

c) My favorite. Made famous by Tara Beister and Kirk Walker at OSU back in the day. You have a player who is a wiz on defense, carries a home-run rated stick but is EXTREMELY SLOW. She is your Flex (I know, a home run hitter playing Flex? Work with me here.....) You have someone quick start the game as your DP. When the lineups are set, you put the Flex in to bat for the DP. If the Flex (who is now hitting) cranks a home run, you leave the lineup alone. If she gets out, you leave the lineup alone. If she gets a base hit, YOU INSERT THE DP TO RUN. This is the DP's sole reentry possibilty, but because the Flex has NOT LEFT THE GAME DEFENSIVELY, the Flex's reentry has not been affected.

Now, if you have a bench full of speedy girls, you can just insert them one after another into the DP spot to run for the Flex. As long as the Flex continuously plays defense, she has not "left the game".

As I said, there are many others, but these are the ones I remember.

Please remind me what I forgot to cover.

Smokey
residentump

by SnocatzDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:03 am

#1 reason I use flex/dp is to make up for a short bench.

Playing travel ball I hate to carry more than 12 players, For two years consequtively I've played with 11 on the roster and last summer I had one out for about 2 months. This isn't a tragedy when every girl wants to play all the time. I like not having to look at 3-4 players on the bench and figure out how I am going to get them some playing time and I also like seeing the kids get the extra at bats that come from a smaller roster.

However when you get to strict substitution rules you are at a disadvantage because IMO substitution rules were written with rosters of 15+ in mind.

If you have 10 players and you use DP/flex the DP can swap out at any time for any player in the field defensively and it's a position swap, not a substitution (unless it's the flex then it's a half sub) If I didn't use the DP/Flex and used player 10 as a sub too early, I now have no relief for the other 8 players if they get hurt or need a breather for some reason. So I am not forced to "save" my substitution til the end of the game in case someone gets hurt.
SnocatzDad

by PDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:04 am

residentump wrote:c) My favorite. Made famous by Tara Beister and Kirk Walker at OSU back in the day. You have a player who is a wiz on defense, carries a home-run rated stick but is EXTREMELY SLOW. She is your Flex (I know, a home run hitter playing Flex? Work with me here.....) You have someone quick start the game as your DP. When the lineups are set, you put the Flex in to bat for the DP. If the Flex (who is now hitting) cranks a home run, you leave the lineup alone. If she gets out, you leave the lineup alone. If she gets a base hit, YOU INSERT THE DP TO RUN. This is the DP's sole reentry possibilty, but because the Flex has NOT LEFT THE GAME DEFENSIVELY, the Flex's reentry has not been affected.

Now, if you have a bench full of speedy girls, you can just insert them one after another into the DP spot to run for the Flex. As long as the Flex continuously plays defense, she has not "left the game".

Seems like it doesn't matter who starts the game as the DP since they're going to be subbed out when it's their turn to bat. If you don't have a bench full of speedy girls, I'd put another reserve in the DP's spot on the initial lineup so the quick player can run twice for the Flex.

Great post. Hats off to the coaches that thought outside the box for examples b & c. They demonstrate that creative use of the DP/Flex rule provides opportunities to utilize players better.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 am

SnocatzDad wrote:If you have 10 players and you use DP/flex the DP can swap out at any time for any player in the field defensively and it's a position swap, not a substitution (unless it's the flex then it's a half sub) If I didn't use the DP/Flex and used player 10 as a sub too early, I now have no relief for the other 8 players if they get hurt or need a breather for some reason. So I am not forced to "save" my substitution til the end of the game in case someone gets hurt.

The drawback to using DP/Flex with only 10 players is you're down to 8 batters if someone other than the DP or Flex gets hurt.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SnocatzDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:40 am

PDad wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:If you have 10 players and you use DP/flex the DP can swap out at any time for any player in the field defensively and it's a position swap, not a substitution (unless it's the flex then it's a half sub) If I didn't use the DP/Flex and used player 10 as a sub too early, I now have no relief for the other 8 players if they get hurt or need a breather for some reason. So I am not forced to "save" my substitution til the end of the game in case someone gets hurt.

The drawback to using DP/Flex with only 10 players is you're down to 8 batters if someone other than the DP or Flex gets hurt.

Agreed, it's just triage, if I had to choose between taking an out every 9th batter or playing with 8 on defense all the time, I'll take the out
SnocatzDad

by PDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:
PDad wrote:

Agreed, it's just triage, if I had to choose between taking an out every 9th batter or playing with 8 on defense all the time, I'll take the out

Agreed. I only had time to make a quick post that using the DP/Flex with only 10 players isn't completely risk-free.

The worst-case scenario with either approach is having to forfeit because a player other than the DP or Flex is ejected and you don't have an available substitute for them. Keeping an available substitute on the bench is the only protection.

I'm not criticizing or advocating either approach - I'm just bringing up the pros and cons. It's all about making informed decisions based on calculated odds.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner