Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Ilegal pitch question?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm

monster wrote:wade:
thx on first part...bb chalk lines don't disrupt with feet or bats as digging in b4 pitch..I didn't quite undrstnd ump as well perhaps it was all about him takeing charge...who knows.

As far as I know, NFHS rules are the only org with a rule regarding erasing the lines - and that is not the correct NFHS penalty. Which I believe (not sure) is strike and team warning.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm

sbcoach 00 wrote: By the way she did record all three outs herself as she was forced out at 3rd to end the inning. Something I thought I would never see the same batter making all three outs in one inning.

In the scenario provided by the OP, the skipped batter was (correctly) called out.

So how is that 3 outs on one batter?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Clean_up » Tue May 26, 2009 1:18 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
sbcoach 00 wrote: By the way she did record all three outs herself as she was forced out at 3rd to end the inning. Something I thought I would never see the same batter making all three outs in one inning.

In the scenario provided by the OP, the skipped batter was (correctly) called out.

Batter comes up out of order, bats and is out. When batter who should have batted before her was due up, DC appeals that she is out of order. So, two outs are recorded, 1 for the the out of order, 1 for the original out and then she bats again (You explained earlier that her original out should have stood and B3 should bat) and bats, gets on and then is out #3 on a force play by B5 FC at 3rd base. Technically, she was out twice.
Clean_up

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Yes, thats what I have in your OP - two outs on the same batter (1 due to incorrect ruling by PU)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Tue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm

Clean_up wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:

Batter comes up out of order, bats and is out. When batter who should have batted before her was due up, DC appeals that she is out of order. So, two outs are recorded, 1 for the the out of order, 1 for the original out and then she bats again (You explained earlier that her original out should have stood and B3 should bat) and bats, gets on and then is out #3 on a force play by B5 FC at 3rd base. Technically, she was out twice.

No, I don't think so. Once the batter was put out, the turn at bat is complete. She does NOT come up again, but is skipped and the next batter in the batting order which has not been retired.

There is no case in which a player can be retired twice without being due to bat twice.
MTR

by anonlooker » Tue May 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Just to clarify for us simpletons:

Batter #1 was due up but didn't bat.
Batter #2 did bat, in batter #1's place. (say she grounded out)
Batter #3 is on deck.

Who is out, how many outs, who bats next?

When should DC appeal it? (for maximum benefit!) When is it too late to appeal it?
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 pm

DC Should appeal after batter completes their at bat but before the next pitch (legal or illegal)

B2 is out on the play
B1 out on the BOO appeal.
B3 up.

If DC appeals during the at bat, we'll just put the correct batter up.
As has been noted, there is no situation where a player can be out "twice" on a play; which should have been a huge clue for those involved in the ruling on the field
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by anonlooker » Tue May 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Of course I left something out...

In the scenario I presented, what if B#2 would have singled rather than grounded out?

And thanks for your guidance! :D
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Edit to correct my misunderstanding of your question..

all other runners (if there were any) would be returned to where they were and correct batter would still be out. Batter is not out in that case and she would be up to bat.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Tue May 26, 2009 4:03 pm

B1 out
B2 taken off base, everyone returned.
B2 is up.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner