Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

R1 hit by ball after it passes an infielder other than F1

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SnocatzDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 am

R1 on first two outs, batter hits linedrive towards first base, ball gets past F3 playing up but hits R1 one stride off 1B, F4 is close to second base and has no opportunity to make the play. Batter would have reached easily if it didn't hit runner. Even with it hitting runner if there were less than two outs, batter/runner would have reached 1B safely.

First of all I think the runner should not have been out since the ball got past F3 and IMO F4 had no play on the ball. Rule 8 Section 7 (K) I guess that the umpire felt F4 (or maybe F9?) did have a play on the ball and called the runner out based on that

How do you score this for the batter? Fielder's choice?
SnocatzDad

by PDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 pm

It is INT and the putout is given to the fielder nearest the ball when the runner was called out(ASA 11.2.B.4.a.4).
Last edited by PDad on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:R1 on first two outs, batter hits linedrive towards first base, ball gets past F3 playing up but hits R1 one stride off 1B, F4 is close to second base and has no opportunity to make the play. Batter would have reached easily if it didn't hit runner. Even with it hitting runner if there were less than two outs, batter/runner would have reached 1B safely.

First of all I think the runner should not have been out since the ball got past F3 and IMO F4 had no play on the ball. Rule 8 Section 7 (K) I guess that the umpire felt F4 (or maybe F9?) did have a play on the ball and called the runner out based on that

Just for rules clarification, the umpire would have judged another fielder had the opportunity to make an out, not just a play. Don't discount F9, there are a lot of plays at 1B made from that position.
MTR

by SnocatzDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 pm

PDad wrote:It is INT and the putout is given to the fielder nearest the ball when the runner was called out(ASA 11.2.A.4.a.4).

ASA 11.2.A doesn't have a 4 in my rule book and has to do with lineup card. are you yanking my chain??

Even in the rules supplement for interference it mentions the exception for a ball that has passed an infielder (Supplement 33. Interference A.1.b)
SnocatzDad

by SnocatzDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

MTR wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:R1 on first two outs, batter hits linedrive towards first base, ball gets past F3 playing up but hits R1 one stride off 1B, F4 is close to second base and has no opportunity to make the play. Batter would have reached easily if it didn't hit runner. Even with it hitting runner if there were less than two outs, batter/runner would have reached 1B safely.

First of all I think the runner should not have been out since the ball got past F3 and IMO F4 had no play on the ball. Rule 8 Section 7 (K)I guess that the umpire felt F4 (or maybe F9?) did have a play on the ball and called the runner out based on that

Just for rules clarification, the umpire would have judged another fielder had the opportunity to make an out, not just a play. Don't discount F9, there are a lot of plays at 1B made from that position.

I get that he may have felt F9 could make the out, I doubt that was what was in his mind. I'm guessing he was playing by the rule that the runner is out if hit by any fair batted ball touched or untouched (ASA Supplement 33 Interference A.2) and I'm struggling with interpreting the proper ruling when when an exception is mentioned in (ASA Supplement 33 Interference A.1.b) and in (Rule 8 Section 7 (K))
SnocatzDad

by PDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:09 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:
PDad wrote:It is INT and the putout is given to the fielder nearest the ball when the runner was called out (ASA 11.2.A.4.a.4).

ASA 11.2.A doesn't have a 4 in my rule book and has to do with lineup card. are you yanking my chain??

Sorry about that, it's ASA 11.2.B.4.a.4
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SnocatzDad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:15 pm

PDad wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:
PDad wrote:It is INT and the putout is given to the fielder nearest the ball when the runner was called out (ASA 11.2.A.4.a.4).

Sorry about that, it's ASA 11.2.B.4.a.4

Thanks got it now. I see 11.3.D clarifies that the batter is not credited with a hit here either.
SnocatzDad

by Wolves » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:52 pm

I thought if the ball went by the first fielder and hit the runner it is a live ball.
Why was an out called?
Wolves

by SnocatzDad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am

There are exceptions. That is why I'm posting this so that I get a clearer understanding of how this is supposed to be handled.

Based on my reading it seems pretty clear that if it gets past an infielder (other than the pitcher) and no other fielder has an opportunity to make an out (not a play an out) it should be a live ball

However the way the following is written
ASA Supplement 33 Interference.
A. Runner Interference Includes.
2. A runner or batter runner who is hit by a fair touched or untouched batted ball

It would seem that there are no exceptions and that even if the ball is "touched" ?? (goes off a fielders glove into a runner??) they should be called for runner interference. Not sure why you would give exceptions in two places in the rule book and then nullify the exceptions in another place in the rule book.
SnocatzDad

by MTR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:17 am

SnocatzDad wrote:There are exceptions. That is why I'm posting this so that I get a clearer understanding of how this is supposed to be handled.

Based on my reading it seems pretty clear that if it gets past an infielder (other than the pitcher) and no other fielder has an opportunity to make an out (not a play an out) it should be a live ball

However the way the following is written
ASA Supplement 33 Interference.
A. Runner Interference Includes.
2. A runner or batter runner who is hit by a fair touched or untouched batted ball

It would seem that there are no exceptions and that even if the ball is "touched" ?? (goes off a fielders glove into a runner??) they should be called for runner interference. Not sure why you would give exceptions in two places in the rule book and then nullify the exceptions in another place in the rule book.

They don't. You are trying to include a RS as a specific rule. They are nothing, but guidelines. Since there are instances where a runner could be out when hit with a deflected ball, this comment is accurate, but you need to refer to the rule. "Supplement" is not a synonym for "supersede".
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner