Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Dropped Third

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by All-American SB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

Two strikes on the batter. The batter swings at the next pitch, which is a change up in the dirt. The ball bounces, rolls up the catcher's arm and lands in the plate umpires ball bag. The batter runs to first as the catcher looks for the ball. The umpire kills the play since the ball was lodged in his equipment. He rules the batter out and does not allow the batter to advance to first. He stated that the defense could not be put at a disadvantage because of the lodged ball. Correct call? I can not find the rule or proper mechanic for this situation. Thanks
All-American SB

by Comp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am

ASA 8-5-M When a ball gets lodged in : 1. Umpires gear or clothing or 2. In an offensive players clothing. Effect: The ball is dead and the umpire should award the runners the bases the runners would have reached.
Comp

by All-American SB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm

So it would be a judgement call if the batter would have reached first base or not?
All-American SB

by Comp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Yes it would be a judgement call.
Comp

by jonriv » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Would hate to be making that judgement call- no matter what you call someone is going to be mad :D
jonriv

by Comp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

I dont agree with the umpires explanation for the call in the OP. The defense allowed a D3K which ended with the ball in the umpires ball bag. By arbitrarily calling the batter out "because the defense couldnt be put at a disadvantage" actually put the offense at a disadvantage.

And yes, no matter how you rule someone isnt going to be happy.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm with Comp. Dropped third that ended up in plate umpires bag, has to have a most likely outcome of the runner being safe., had it not gone into umpires bag.

Definitely, would have to have been there. For instance, if it was a short backstop and the catcher had already thrown out 6 batters on balls off that short backstop, then most likely outcome, maybe, most likely outcome was out.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Comp wrote:I dont agree with the umpires explanation for the call in the OP. The defense allowed a D3K which ended with the ball in the umpires ball bag. By arbitrarily calling the batter out "because the defense couldnt be put at a disadvantage" actually put the offense at a disadvantage.

And yes, no matter how you rule someone isnt going to be happy.

But it wouldn't have been a U3K if the batter didn't swing or miss the ball, so it could just as well be argued the offense allowed the situation to exist :)
MTR

by Comp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Agreed, but the offense didnt miss blocking the ball.
Comp

by BearFlagFan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 am

Comp wrote:Agreed, but the offense didnt miss blocking the ball.

The swing didn't put the ball in the ump's bag, it was the catcher not fielding the ball properly. As the PU it's easier for me to justify the BR on 1B than declare her out. But I wasn't there so ultimately it's the PU's judgment that counts. There's no appeal on that play as it turns on the PU's judgment.
BearFlagFan

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner