Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Runner hit by batted ball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by playball13 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 am

R1 on 1B.
F3 is playing in front of the 1B-2B base path. BR hits 1 hopper to the right of F3, she takes 1 step to right tries back hand but ball goes under her glove.
F4 is playing back behind 1B-2B baseline, moving to her left to get to the ball and may a chance.
but the ball hits R1 on foot as she is heading to 2B.

Is she out in ASA?
is she out in FED?
Does it matter if ball went through F3 or out of reach of F3?
Does it matter if F3 touched the ball?
playball13

by Comp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am

If the umpire judges another defender to have a play on the ball, the runner hit by the batted ball would be out in both FED and ASA.

If F3 deflects the ball and the runner could not avoid being contacted by the ball, the runner is not out and the ball is live and in play in both FED and ASA.
Comp

by Battle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am

Comp wrote:If the umpire judges another defender to have a play on the ball, the runner hit by the batted ball would be out in both FED and ASA.

If F3 deflects the ball and the runner could not avoid being contacted by the ball, the runner is not out and the ball is live and in play in both FED and ASA.

Isn't this sort of a lost rule because I've seen the ball go by F3 and hit the runner where F4 didn't have a chance in hell on getting to it and runner was still called out. It looks like most think if the ball hits the runner without being touched then the runner is automatically out and that is just not true.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 am

I'd have to agree with battle- in practice umps seem to follow the any hit runner thought process
jonriv

by Comp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:30 am

Then you need to ask the umpire for clarification of his call as to if he judged another fielder to have a play.

ASA 8-8-D Runner is not out when a runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball that has passed an infielder , excluding the pitcher, and, in the umpires judgement no other infielder had an opportunity to make an out.

FED the rule is 8-1-2-a effect 2 and is essentially the same wording.
Comp

by Battle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:53 am

Comp wrote:Then you need to ask the umpire for clarification of his call as to if he judged another fielder to have a play.

ASA 8-8-D Runner is not out when a runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball that has passed an infielder , excluding the pitcher, and, in the umpires judgement no other infielder had an opportunity to make an out.

FED the rule is 8-1-2-a effect 2 and is essentially the same wording.

Well as a coach you can ask but will not get the call. It doesn't only happen with F3/F4. It happens with F6 too. I've seen some game ending bad calls on this and as a coach, they look at you like you're an idiot for even arguing this. Have you ever given this call to the offense?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Comp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:05 pm

There have been several occasions I have had runners hit by batted balls after passing a fielder and I have had no call to make.

If you approach the umpire to question the call, you need to ask your questions in a way to find out if they are missapplying a rule. If they are calling the runner out simply because they were hit then the are not using the correct rule and you have a protestable situation.
Comp

by Battle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Comp wrote:There have been several occasions I have had runners hit by batted balls after passing a fielder and I have had no call to make.

If you approach the umpire to question the call, you need to ask your questions in a way to find out if they are missapplying a rule. If they are calling the runner out simply because they were hit then the are not using the correct rule and you have a protestable situation.

Well with the situation with the OP, there is always F9...Poleeease! :roll:
Battle

by Comp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Battle wrote:
Comp wrote:There have been several occasions I have had runners hit by batted balls after passing a fielder and I have had no call to make.

It is not out of the question on a hard enough hit ball. Over the past weekends tournament I worked I had I believe 5 attempted put outs at 1st on balls hit to F9, and 2 of them were successful.
Comp

by Battle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Comp wrote:
Battle wrote:

It is not out of the question on a hard enough hit ball. Over the past weekends tournament I worked I had I believe 5 attempted put outs at 1st on balls hit to F9, and 2 of them were successful.

That's true. Witnessed it myself several times but C'mon. That is always the fail-safe for the call when determined F4 could never have gotten to it even though it's the original response from the umps. F9 would have to be playing shallow for the most part in upper level play. F9 could be playing the fence and the offense will very seldom get that call if ever.
Battle

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner