Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

pre game conference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am

Had possibly the worst pre game conference ever yesterday. Umpires, you are not setting a good tone before the game when you threaten both coaches with an ejection prior to a single pitch even being thrown. Please do no not tell both coaches this is your warning before a pitch is even thrown..... what was a warning about? Controlling fans in the stands.... Like I said, we hadn't had any previous problem...oh, but he said it has been a problem lately...

I have not had this umpire in a game so far this short season, and neither team has had any bad blood or any incidence to even discuss an ejection.

Pathetic pre game from a pathetic umpire... GUS! So the tone has already been set now before a single pitch has been thrown... and it is not a good one. Great job umpire.
Iluvblue

by Comp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

Then have a talk with whoever the umpire assignor was. Agreed a pregame is no time for warnings, nothing has happened yet and yes it does set a bad tone for the game.
Comp

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

I had a talk... as a matter of fact, took off as soon as pregame was over to ensure he knew what happened so he could sit and watch game.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:55 pm

The pre-game meeting should consist of the following:

Crew should position themselves at the plate
PU introduce the crew
Accept and check line-up cards
Return line-up cards to coach and ask them to review and confirm line-ups
The coach either adjusts and errors in line-up or just returns them to the umpire
(at this point, the line-up is now official)
Umpires should cover ground rules and any special rules for that game/tournament/etc.
Ask for and respond to any questions involving this game and the rules covered
Flip coin (if necessary)

Umpires should not:

Carry on a conversation with anyone. Only the PU should speak
BU should not speak unless asked for input by PU
Issue any warnings
List pet peeves
Deliver ultimatums on behavior
etc.
MTR

by Iluvblue » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 pm

MTR,

I am aware what SHOULD NOT be happening at the pregame. This is what gets me so upset.

in the same game we had a kid hit a very high infield pop up, and our runners know they better be running full speed all the way to 2nd base on something like this. I didn't see it as I was out trying to find the UIC, but apparently our runner ran into the 1st baseman who was standing in her path. The base umpire told our coach that she should not be doing that and doesn't need to be so aggressive. Now I didn't see exactly what happened, but for the base umpire to instruct us to have our runner not run so aggressively on a pop fly is ridiculous, and I got back and was told by our coaches what happened, and now I am really fuming.

Now had this happened by itself, it probably would have been pretty minor, but add in that dumb pregame and I was already pissed, now add in an umpire telling us how to coach our players, and now im fuming.

I don't get in trouble over balls and strikes and out and safe very often, but umpires that don't do their job appropriately(instructing us how to coach, threatening us at pregame) just sets me off.

The sad part was, I think both umpires did a pretty good job on doing what they are actually there to do. Long story short, that HP umpire will never again do another one of our games... EVER.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Iluvblue wrote:MTR,

I am aware what SHOULD NOT be happening at the pregame. This is what gets me so upset.

It was a general posts read by more than just those responding.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner