Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Balls & Strikes: Right vs. Left Hand?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by rfmnz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Shouldn't Ump's always show balls using right hand and strikes using left (people read left to right)?..

It's a pet peeve of mine that ump's at my league always do it reverse :/
rfmnz

by Comp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Balls are left hand, strikes are right hand. ALWAYS.
Comp

by MTR » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 pm

rfmnz wrote:Shouldn't Ump's always show balls using right hand and strikes using left (people read left to right)?..

Which people, those in front of the plate or those behind it? What about those to the side? :)

It's a pet peeve of mine that ump's at my league always do it reverse :/

Their pet peeve is that your pet peeve is about something they are doing correctly. Think about it. With which hand does the umpire call strikes and outs?
MTR

by rfmnz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Even reading from the side (dugout) I would always try to read it L-R. Then I decided to not even bother and just ask the blue each time I wanted to know the count.

I am glad to know the correct way though. Thanks for the info!
rfmnz

by Anti-Clone » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:53 am

rfmnz wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Even reading from the side (dugout) I would always try to read it L-R. Then I decided to not even bother and just ask the blue each time I wanted to know the count.

Umpires are not scoreboards. Part of competent coaching is knowing what the count is. When in doubt, feel free to ask your scorekeeper. Alternatively, you can use an indicator yourself.
Anti-Clone

by Battle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 am

Anti-Clone wrote:

Umpires are not scoreboards. Part of competent coaching is knowing what the count is. When in doubt, feel free to ask your scorekeeper. Alternatively, you can use an indicator yourself.

There's a difference between the score and the count. Asking the ump for the count is fine.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 am

Battle wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:

There's a difference between the score and the count. Asking the ump for the count is fine.

Asking every once in a while is fine. Asking all the time, it is clear you are either distracted, unable to follow the flow of the game, or just not that good of a softball person. All of those reflect badly on you as coach.

All of the coaches I know that coach ahead of the game, always know the count. All of the coaches I know that chase the game, are always asking for the count. It is definitely one of the key indicators of a quality game coach vs a less capable game coach.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
Battle wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:

Asking every once in a while is fine. Asking all the time, it is clear you are either distracted, unable to follow the flow of the game, or just not that good of a softball person. All of those reflect badly on you as coach.

All of the coaches I know that coach ahead of the game, always know the count. All of the coaches I know that chase the game, are always asking for the count. It is definitely one of the key indicators of a quality game coach vs a less capable game coach.

That's true and I agree but most of the time it's just a request and that''s it. Out of the great coaches I know, all of them loose the count every once in a while or they are just wanting to confirm.

Some coaches don't call the pitches. They teach the catcher how to call pitches which I think is a lost art and in the heat of the moment the catcher may loose the count. A good ump will keep the game moving instead of trying to play God.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Battle wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:Asking every once in a while is fine. Asking all the time, it is clear you are either distracted, unable to follow the flow of the game, or just not that good of a softball person. All of those reflect badly on you as coach.

Very interesting observation, although I can't recall anyone always asking the ump for the count.

That's true and I agree but most of the time it's just a request and that''s it. Out of the great coaches I know, all of them loose the count every once in a while or they are just wanting to confirm. ....

Confirming the count is understandable after a steal or pick-off throw where it's hard to tell what the umpire called on the pitch or when the umpire seems to indicate a different count. As for all the great coaches you know losing track of the count, all I can say is... uh... hmm... never mind, I lost track of what was I going to say...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:01 pm

PDad wrote:
Battle wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:Asking every once in a while is fine. Asking all the time, it is clear you are either distracted, unable to follow the flow of the game, or just not that good of a softball person. All of those reflect badly on you as coach.

Very interesting observation, although I can't recall anyone always asking the ump for the count.

That's true and I agree but most of the time it's just a request and that''s it. Out of the great coaches I know, all of them loose the count every once in a while or they are just wanting to confirm. ....

Confirming the count is understandable after a steal or pick-off throw where it's hard to tell what the umpire called on the pitch or when the umpire seems to indicate a different count. As for all the great coaches you know losing track of the count, all I can say is... uh... hmm... never mind, I lost track of what was I going to say...

Now I know 2 great coaches. Your trollology is improving to catch the "All the great...". That usually gets by you but not this time. :lol:
Battle

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner