Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter/runner on dropped third strike

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Killer Rabbit » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Runner on first, only one out. Batter swings and misses strike three. My catcher drops and blocks the ball. The runner at first has a little too big of a lead and my catcher throws to first to pick her off. The problem is that the batter is running to first and interferes gets in the way of the throw and the play. Base runner goes to third on the play.

I know that the batter is out, but what about her interference? She is not legally a runner since less than one out/first base occupied. Does the base runner go back to first?

Thanks
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:Runner on first, only one out. Batter swings and misses strike three. My catcher drops and blocks the ball. The runner at first has a little too big of a lead and my catcher throws to first to pick her off. The problem is that the batter is running to first and interferes gets in the way of the throw and the play. Base runner goes to third on the play.

I know that the batter is out, but what about her interference? She is not legally a runner since less than one out/first base occupied. Does the base runner go back to first?

Thanks

Depends on the rule set and what exactly the interference was.

Barring the retired batting actually doing something more that running toward first, this sound like a DMC.
MTR

by Killer Rabbit » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 pm

The batter got in the way of the throw and was hit with the ball. My point is that the batter never becomes a runner with first base occupied. So she never should have been in the baseline.
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:36 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:The batter got in the way of the throw and was hit with the ball. My point is that the batter never becomes a runner with first base occupied. So she never should have been in the baseline.

Answer isn't changing, sound like a DMC
MTR

by Killer Rabbit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 pm

I am slow tonight. DMC?
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Killer Rabbit wrote:I am slow tonight. DMC?

Dumb move catcher.

DMC is normally when the catcher makes an unnecessary throw on a retired batter. I'm puzzled by MTR's use of it here because it was a pick-off attempt and is dependent on the rule set, I guess he's assuming it's ASA and calling DMC for not throwing around the retired batter that is allowed to run to 1B under ASA rules.

Which rule set was this under?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Killer Rabbit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. Which rule allows the runner to run to first?

And by the way, it was a quick block and throw from the plate. The batter was not in the lane.
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:24 pm

ASA 8-7P covers interference by retired players and ones that have scored. It has a poorly worded exemption for U3K in the Note.

MTR provided some background on it here - Re: Interference
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Killer Rabbit » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:Thanks. That was what I was looking for. Which rule allows the runner to run to first?

And by the way, it was a quick block and throw from the plate. The batter was not in the lane.

Well, the lane is irrelevant as there was no batter-runner.

Let me clarify. I stand with the DMC based on the information offered. That doesn't mean it couldn't be interference, but I would need more information. For example, if the runner was going on the u3k as they are trained and often directed to do regardless of whether her advancement is allowed or not and got hit by a throw, it may be nothing, but a bad or even intentional throw. Now, if that retired batter runner stepped in front of or into the throw, that would probably be an act of interference.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner