Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference: how many fielders can be protected??

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by cardinal75 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Bases loaded. Two outs. Ball popped up to pitcher. Pitcher is calling " ball-ball-ball" and is in position to catch the ball. 2B runs into R1. SS runs into R2. Ball is dropped by the pitcher. Do we have two cases of interference, two cases of obstruction, one and one, or the ever popular, had to be there.
cardinal75

by MTR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:43 pm

cardinal75 wrote:Bases loaded. Two outs. Ball popped up to pitcher. Pitcher is calling " ball-ball-ball" and is in position to catch the ball. 2B runs into R1. SS runs into R2. Ball is dropped by the pitcher. Do we have two cases of interference, two cases of obstruction, one and one, or the ever popular, had to be there.

OBS on F4 & F6. Only one fielder is protected and from your description, only F1 was protected.
MTR

by cardinal75 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:12 am

OK, let me alter the situation a little. Runner on first, two outs. Ball is popped up to 2B fifteen feet from second, in the base line. 2B is calling "ball-ball", R1 deviates from the baseline to avoid interfering with 2B and shortly thereafter, collides with SS who's making a kamikaze run across the diamond. Guess what? Interference on R1. Umpires decision was that SS could have had a play on the ball. ????? Probably could have had a play if they dove and if 2B wan'ts standing directly under the ball. Wording in the rule book speaks of "making an initial play on the ball". From an offensive standpoint it's tough to avoid multiple players rushing to the ball. Somewhere along the way, blue has to decide, it wasn't your play.

Ball was caught in the actual play and became a mute point I just had a problem with my runner being in the "wrong" when she did what she was supposed to do, avoiding 2B.
cardinal75

by Comp » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:52 pm

If the rule book is discussing initial play you are probably reading an NFHS rulebook. Even under NFHS only 1 player can be making an intial play and is protected. The only time this is not the case is on a ball which has been deflected by the pitcher. In the play you have described Im not sure how an umpire could rule interference when F6 had to run half way across the diamond to get near the ball while F4 was camped out under it.
Comp

by MTR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm

cardinal75 wrote:OK, let me alter the situation a little. Runner on first, two outs. Ball is popped up to 2B fifteen feet from second, in the base line. 2B is calling "ball-ball", R1 deviates from the baseline to avoid interfering with 2B and shortly thereafter, collides with SS who's making a kamikaze run across the diamond. Guess what? Interference on R1. Umpires decision was that SS could have had a play on the ball. ????? Probably could have had a play if they dove and if 2B wan'ts standing directly under the ball. Wording in the rule book speaks of "making an initial play on the ball". From an offensive standpoint it's tough to avoid multiple players rushing to the ball. Somewhere along the way, blue has to decide, it wasn't your play.

Ball was caught in the actual play and became a mute point I just had a problem with my runner being in the "wrong" when she did what she was supposed to do, avoiding 2B.
MTR

by MTR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:47 pm

MTR wrote:
cardinal75 wrote:OK, let me alter the situation a little. Runner on first, two outs. Ball is popped up to 2B fifteen feet from second, in the base line. 2B is calling "ball-ball", R1 deviates from the baseline to avoid interfering with 2B and shortly thereafter, collides with SS who's making a kamikaze run across the diamond. Guess what? Interference on R1. Umpires decision was that SS could have had a play on the ball. ????? Probably could have had a play if they dove and if 2B wan'ts standing directly under the ball. Wording in the rule book speaks of "making an initial play on the ball". From an offensive standpoint it's tough to avoid multiple players rushing to the ball. Somewhere along the way, blue has to decide, it wasn't your play.

No, the point isn't "moot", which regardless of the spelling is just as wrong. If ruled INT, the ball is dead immediately, which means the "catch" never happened. But all that is completely wrong since "could" have caught the ball is irrelevant to the play and appropriate rule. No matter what is going on, BY RULE, only one player can be protected
MTR

by cardinal75 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Many thanks for the input: rules and grammar.
cardinal75

Return to The Umpire Corner