Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Look Back Rule Violation ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:39 am

I have seen this discussed on here previously but am unable to find it ... In this case it is NCAA ... R1 on second so the FU is set up behind short .... Batter runner beats out a bang bang play at first ... FU calls her safe but doesn't really sell it ... BR believing she was called out, after running through the bag comes back across the bag heading towards the 3rd base dugout ... ( ball is now in the circle ) ... 1st base Coach says whoa whoa whoa, get back here, which she does ... FU calls her out ... I say BS.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I have seen this discussed on here previously but am unable to find it ... In this case it is NCAA ... R1 on second so the FU is set up behind short .... Batter runner beats out a bang bang play at first ... FU calls her safe but doesn't really sell it ... BR believing she was called out, after running through the bag comes back across the bag heading towards the 3rd base dugout ... ( ball is now in the circle ) ... 1st base Coach says whoa whoa whoa, get back here, which she does ... FU calls her out ... I say BS.

Proper call, you are referencing the wrong NCAA rule. 12.11.4 "After reaching a base safely, the runner abandons her base (for example, obviously heads toward her position or the dugout believing she was put out, the batted ball was foul, etc.)

Blame the base coach, who has one responsibility only, to COACH the runner. Saying whoa, whoa, whoa AFTER she violates is insufficient. That is the standard the NCAA requires of coaches that don't hesitate to tell us that is their JOB.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Well ... The FU said " the ball was in the circle" so I thought she was referencing the Look Back Rule when she called her out ... Not looking to 'BLAME' anyone and I fully realize what a First Base Coaches job is ... Just giving the facts as I saw them to get a correct ruling.
It seems to me this had been discussed previously ( perhaps not NCAA ) and 'base abandonment' did not take effect until the offending player was in the dugout.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm

ASA and NFHS rules are more forgiving - they don't call the runner out until they enter the dugout (team area) or leave the field of play. The NCAA rules are like official baseball rules.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:39 pm

FWIW:

When you call BS on an umpire call, I would consider that an assignment of blame. Nothing personal, don't see you as a big umpire hater, just my read.

And equally possible this umpire thought it was a lookback violation with the explanation; but "out" was the right call, even if for the wrong reason.

As PDad says, abandonment in ASA and NFHS requires way more; NCAA puts it back on the coaches to keep it from happening. They want to be respected as professionals in this game (and they do, and generally deserve it), then accept accountability, too.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I have seen this discussed on here previously but am unable to find it ... In this case it is NCAA ... R1 on second so the FU is set up behind short .... Batter runner beats out a bang bang play at first ... FU calls her safe but doesn't really sell it ... BR believing she was called out, after running through the bag comes back across the bag heading towards the 3rd base dugout ... ( ball is now in the circle ) ... 1st base Coach says whoa whoa whoa, get back here, which she does ... FU calls her out ... I say BS.

FWIW, LBR has some additional requirements when they overrun 1B. Here are the NCAA rules:

12.21.6.4 The batter-runner, after overrunning first base, may not retouch the base and advance toward second base.
12.21.6.5 The batter-runner, after overrunning first base, must immediately return nonstop to first base or, if she does not retouch first base, must make an attempt to advance to second. If after passing the base, the batter-runner is heading back toward first base within the baseline extended, she may make a decision to go to either base. However, stepping beyond the
extended baseline in foul territory commits her to first base while stepping beyond the baseline toward the second-base side commits her to second base.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner