Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitcher taking signs

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by josephrt1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Specifically to this notation,
the pitcher 'can' step on to the mound, hands separated and say she had the ball in her hand or ball in her glove and decided to 'switch it befor' she was going to take a signal or simulate taking a signal from The Catcher. And then commence.
Just confirming??
Is it ok in all or? Asa, Nfhs, Usa,
Pgf , Triple crown ect??

Confirming that pitcher can do a quick transfer, but somewhere before or after they still have to simulate taking a sign for USA/ASA & NFHS. I have not done HS in a few years but that was the case at least in 2016. In both rule books it is not stated that the pitcher can transfer, but it was discussed in an ASA clinic a few years back as legal to transfer the ball as long as the hands are not held together for any length of time (so that does leave some room for umpire judgement).

I believe PGF uses HS rules but they might have some modified pitching requirements so I can't speak for them, TC or any other.

Your other comment about presenting the ball. I believe you when you say it is a requirement in some codes; it's just not a requirement in USA or NFHS. I should have been clearer in my answer.
josephrt1

by MTR » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Your other comment about presenting the ball. I believe you when you say it is a requirement in some codes; it's just not a requirement in USA or NFHS. I should have been clearer in my answer.

Same for WBSC and NCAA. Would love to know which rule set would require such a thing and what qualifies as a "presentation".
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner