Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Framing

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ajaywill » Wed May 14, 2014 3:22 pm

rpkell41 wrote:I'd like to hear from umpires. How much does a catcher's framing abilities influence your calls for balls and strikes?

Tks

How do you define "framing abilities"?

UmpSteve pretty much covered it.
ajaywill

by etx bd » Wed May 14, 2014 3:42 pm

jonriv nailed it. A good catcher does not jerk her glove into the strike zone - she angles the glove so she catches a pitch that is a little off the plate and the ball slides into the pocket which is in the strike zone. But even strikes should be framed properly. It takes a very skilled catcher to properly frame breaking pitches. And yes a skilled catcher absolutely influences calls. Sloppy framing also influences calls, in favor of the batter.
That is why the catcher can make or break a pitcher. A good catcher can make a good pitcher much better.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
etx bd

by Comp » Thu May 15, 2014 4:19 am

Isnt it interesting the question was directed to the umpires, ande everyone but the umpires are extolling the virtues of "framing" the pitch.
Comp

by BAM2 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 am

Having both in the household , a Pitcher and A catcher. We understand the importance of subltle framing.
The pitcher was playing in a tournament, lower level tournament, so i'm not sure if the umps are different then say PGF or ASA. But the opposing catcher would literally Pull the ball back into the strike zone and was getting the strike. Umpire called it where and after it was caught , not where it crosses the plate. Understanding that this is the worse case of framing we have ever seen. The catcher was getting strikes, so more power to them.
I know if my catcher kid ever did that, her coach Mr. Campbell, would have her in remeidal lessons, home work and probably charge us double.!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We belive a good frame should be able to get the borderline pitches, my DD should be working for her pitchers and makiing them look Marvelous...
Also having a good rapport with the ump's makes a big difference also. DD makes sure to introuduce herself and say i'm so and so and i'm here to protect you... So hopefully those close framing calls will go her way..
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu May 15, 2014 5:21 am

Umpires will never admit being influenced. My guess is the more obvious framers might even annoy an ump(also an influence). A good framer( see mlb Molina brothers) can absolutely help a pitcher's cause

I tend to follow the theory that anything that might give you the benefit of the doubt on a close call is worth the effort( framing, being nice to am ump. Etc)
jonriv

by Anti-Clone » Sat May 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Trying to get something you know you don't deserve...how would you characterize this off the field?
Anti-Clone

by Battle » Sat May 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:Trying to get something you know you don't deserve...how would you characterize this off the field?

I would characterize it as making up for that outside pitch that, as a catcher, you know cut the corner and you missed it.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jodesi111 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:21 pm

A good stick by the catcher will be awarded a strike way more than a frame. A lot of times the framing will result in a ball rather than a strike as they are stating that the pitch wasn't a strike
jodesi111
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Desmo13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 pm

what catcher catches the ball then ball, then frames? You frame as you catch. and don't you don't try framing obvious balls.
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crewsen5151 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am

My DD has caught for some very nice pitchers in her past (and has even learned more from catching pitching lessons for a certain well known pitching coach, whose clients range from PAC 12 to SEC to Big 10) and instead of "framing" we use the verbage of "presenting" the ball to the umpire. Make as little movement without jettisoning the arm while dramatically dipping the head at the same time. I watch catchers of all ages (usually 12 and older) snatch at the ball, thinking the theatrics will, heck I don't know, impress the umpire with their showmanship?? I have been told by my DD that she has had umpires tell her (during a friendly where most often a good ump will with and "teach" a catcher what they like) the less she tries to deceive them, the more likely she will get the calls she really wants
crewsen5151
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner