Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

HPB out of the box

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by soupy62 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:00 am

So our pitcher hits a slapper with a changeup the hitter was way out of the box and the blue agreed but claimed it didnt matter she was still awarded the base. I didnt know the rule so i was kind of stumped. By i discussed it with him and told him OBVIOUSLY i didnt know the rule but i would assume once she was out of the box she was no longer a hitter in the sense of being elidgible to hit the ball. any other girl that is in the field of play that gets hit doesnt get awarded bases. He told me thats not how it worked and that the batter was HBP. So the game went on because again not being sure about it i had no ground to stand on.
So my question is... If a batter gets hit by a pitch out of the box (which i have never seen before this event and may never see again) is she awarded first?
soupy62

by UmpSteve » Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 am

For the most part, all but NCAA rules have nothing to do with the batter's box. It is still a pitch, and it is still a hitter; the basic rules regarding HBP do NOT change because someone is a slapper. And we have addressed those multiple times in multiple places on this board, I believe.

The batter runner forward (toward the pitcher) is a batting style, not an excuse fore the pitch hitting the batter. The general rule everywhere is that if the batter would have been hit by the pitch if she didn't move, then her moving has nothing to do with the HBP. Moving into the ball, meaning moving toward the plate to be hit should not be an awarded base. If the ruleset (you didn't say which) requires the batter to make an effort to avoid, the slapper has the same obligation; if NFHS, she doesn't have to, so rule the same as if she was standing still.

The issue is that not only should umpires call dead ball strikes on a pitch in the strike zone, the umpires should also BY RULE call dead ball strikes if the batter keeps the ball from being a strike (getting hit before it reaches the plate and maybe could have been a strike if it reached). The NCAA exception is that if the batter is completely out of the batter's box in front, they call it a dead ball and no pitch; neither a ball or a strike, and no awarded base, just a bruise. Their theory is that the umpire cannot judge if it would or wouldn't be a strike before it reaches the plate, so even if three feet from the plate into the batter's box, the slapper out the front gets a bruise, but not a pitch.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by soupy62 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:47 am

it was a changeup that actually bounced so it wasnt going to be a strike. So that was never in question. The only question i had was the fact that she was out of the box. Both the pu and the field ump agreed. So i think if i read this right you are saying dead ball no pitch?
soupy62

by jonriv » Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 am

The NCAA exception is that if the batter is completely out of the batter's box in front, they call it a dead ball and no pitch; neither a ball or a strike, and no awarded base, just a bruise.

My observation- the two times I saw it occur(both in a DIII conference final) was that the umps still awarded the base. Both secanarios were slappers fooled by a change up that were hot by the pitch completely out of the box. DDs coach said that the umps ere very reluctant not to award a base when a batter was HBP.
jonriv

by Comp » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 am

soupy62 wrote:it was a changeup that actually bounced so it wasnt going to be a strike. So that was never in question. The only question i had was the fact that she was out of the box. Both the pu and the field ump agreed. So i think if i read this right you are saying dead ball no pitch?

NCAA it is a no pitch if the batter gets hit out in front of the box all other rule sets it is still a hbp.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner