Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Question on fans

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Pale Rider » Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Just out of curiosity...I don't like it and it seems to be pretty much universal only an a-hole does it...
Is it against any written rule that a fan cannot relay pitch location to a batter?...As "INSIDE!"...or "OUTSIDE!"

Aslo had a HS ump...(I use that term very loosely) warn my DD twice about 'slinging her bat'...which she wasn't 'slinging her bat'...It was a typical out of area umpire...
but I don't see a 'rule against..'slinging' your bat...beyond the rule of 'throwing your bat' in a emotionally or violent fashion...Is there a rule
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Mon May 26, 2014 2:02 pm

No rule against anyone calling out pitch location.

NFHS 3-6-3, A team member shall not carelessly thow a bat.

First incident is a team warning, 2nd time the offender is restricted to the bench. So yes there is a high school rule against throwing the bat, but the umpire should have restricted her the 2nd time.
Comp

by Pale Rider » Mon May 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Comp wrote:No rule against anyone calling out pitch location.

NFHS 3-6-3, A team member shall not carelessly thow a bat.

First incident is a team warning, 2nd time the offender is restricted to the bench. So yes there is a high school rule against throwing the bat, but the umpire should have restricted her the 2nd time.

Fan question is from our local area board...sort of like the artificial noise maker dilemma...some team showed up at a District game with Vuvuzelas...State put out ban on all noisemakers besides voice...
She doesn't 'sling' the bat...played ball literally from coast to coast and has never had an issue...
Home cooking ump, high fiving home team players etc ...besides already having 4 RBIs and a HR in that game, he didn't want her batting comfortably anyway...Even the home teams announcer was trying to get on her nerves...I pretended to video her next at bat, making sure the umpire knew I was doing it...that was her 3rd AB that game and he didn't mention it anymore.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Mon May 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Nothing written about pitch location calling. Runner on second signaling, no problem. Coach calling it our from the coach's box, bush league as hell.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Makina » Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm

If you suspect it is a parent/coach, then u can ask the umpire to make this coach get in the dug-out. Otherwise your catcher is tipping off pitches and this will be a good lesson on teaching her how not to tip off pitch location.

Noisemakers are not allowed. You can ask the umpire to ask the Manager of the offending team to tell the parents that they must cease using the noisemakers.

In HS special walk-up music is not allowed and I would get a picture of the umpire high-fiving the home team kids and send to the Chief Umpire.
Makina

by MTR » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Makina wrote:Noisemakers are not allowed. You can ask the umpire to ask the Manager of the offending team to tell the parents that they must cease using the noisemakers.

In HS special walk-up music is not allowed

Citations please.

and I would get a picture of the umpire high-fiving the home team kids and send to the Chief Umpire.

Should be the last game for that umpire. I wouldn't blame a team for raising hell and refusing to play with that umpire on the field.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Guy yelling pitch location in the stands is a great opportunity for some fun.

Go stand behind him where he can't see you and beat him to the punch. Catcher sets up outside, yell out inside real quick. Try and sound like the guy. Don't worry if it is not exact, it will still work great. You do it right and the batter will get burned guessing wrong side, and immediately turn and glare at the dufus that has been yelling pitch location. Now it dawns on him, you have busted him for being a d-bag, he is red in the face because the player has just hammered him for steering messing up her at bat.

At that point he either freezes doing one of those look down, but try to look back and see who was yelling wrong side. Or he immediately turns around to correct whomever yelled wrong side.

If you can stand where they cannot see you without turning around, you will likely get away with this for a while. Wait a few pitches between messing them up, so they think you they are back on track after someone blew one call.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner