Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

2000 ASA Bat Stamp

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 am

Okay ... this was SP but still ASA rules ... the other night while checking the bats a player says to me ...'I've got one more bat I would like you to check' ... I thought he was joking so joked back that if it was the illegal bat to leave it in the bag ... he brought it out and I couldn't find anything wrong with it and it had a 2000 stamp on it ... I told him it was fine and he was thrilled ... after the game he said in the mens league ( this was co-ed ) that he was told it could not be used because it did not have a 2004 stamp on it ... which I knew was wrong ... I did not have my Non-approved bat list with me ( mistake, it will be in my bag from now on ) ... but in looking at it, that bat may have been the Easton SCX2 Synergy ... but I'm not sure ... does anyone know if that bat was stamped in 2000 and illegal by 2004 standards, or if there are any, or many such cases to watch out for?

Edit: BTW ... he was 0-fer with the bat
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Okay ... this was SP but still ASA rules ... the other night while checking the bats a player says to me ...'I've got one more bat I would like you to check' ... I thought he was joking so joked back that if it was the illegal bat to leave it in the bag ... he brought it out and I couldn't find anything wrong with it and it had a 2000 stamp on it ... I told him it was fine and he was thrilled ... after the game he said in the mens league ( this was co-ed ) that he was told it could not be used because it did not have a 2004 stamp on it ... which I knew was wrong ... I did not have my Non-approved bat list with me ( mistake, it will be in my bag from now on ) ... but in looking at it, that bat may have been the Easton SCX2 Synergy ... but I'm not sure ... does anyone know if that bat was stamped in 2000 and illegal by 2004 standards, or if there are any, or many such cases to watch out for?

As you can see here, that particular bat is not stamped with the 2004

http://www.asasoftball.com/about/build_batlist_w_pics_2004.asp

But is on the non-approved list of this with the 2000 and/or 2004 stamp.

http://www.asasoftball.com/about/build_batlist_one_page.asp
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:40 am

Spazsdad wrote:11 out of the 24 are Worth bats. Do they get some kind of award?

There are 143 on my list ... 36 Worths
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Okay ... this was SP but still ASA rules ... the other night while checking the bats a player says to me ...'I've got one more bat I would like you to check' ... I thought he was joking so joked back that if it was the illegal bat to leave it in the bag ... he brought it out and I couldn't find anything wrong with it and it had a 2000 stamp on it ... I told him it was fine and he was thrilled ... after the game he said in the mens league ( this was co-ed ) that he was told it could not be used because it did not have a 2004 stamp on it ... which I knew was wrong ... I did not have my Non-approved bat list with me ( mistake, it will be in my bag from now on ) ... but in looking at it, that bat may have been the Easton SCX2 Synergy ... but I'm not sure ... does anyone know if that bat was stamped in 2000 and illegal by 2004 standards, or if there are any, or many such cases to watch out for?

My puter won't open those files for some reason ... but are you saying that there ARE bats with the 2000 stamp on them that are illegal ? Possibly including that bat, if it was the SCX2 ?
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:47 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

My puter won't open those files for some reason ... but are you saying that there ARE bats with the 2000 stamp on them that are illegal ? Possibly including that bat, if it was the SCX2 ?[/quote]

Don't know why, this is the same site where you and every other umpire would get a bat list.

Sure, why would you think there were not? BTW, they are non-approved bats, not illegal bats. There is a difference.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 pm

What are you checking for exactly? Are they giving away a door prize for the team with the most illegal bats? :lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

My puter won't open those files for some reason ... but are you saying that there ARE bats with the 2000 stamp on them that are illegal ? Possibly including that bat, if it was the SCX2 ?

Don't know why, this is the same site where you and every other umpire would get a bat list.

Sure, why would you think there were not?
BTW, they are non-approved bats, not illegal bats. There is a difference.[/quote]

My bad ... Non Approved Bats ... I have found bats without a 2000 or 2004 stamp on them, thus making them non approved ... isn't that the first thing that you are checking for ? Or should I be memorizing 143 bats ? The first thing I have been looking for is the stamp, check the handle and barrel and end cap ... if it is a bat that has had problems that I'm aware of I'll check for that ( like the white & purple Eastons etc. ) ... I have two pages of Non Approved Bats that I have laminated but just have not had them in my bag ... If thats all those 2 sites were, I've got it ... My puter is saying I need to update or reload my document reader, may be the problem ... Why would I think that a bat with a 2000 or 2004 stamp on it would not be on the Non Approved List ... Maybe you could tell me why it would be on the list while having the stamp ? ... I see how it is written in the rules, but how or why would a bat be stamped as approved and then added to the list ? Not trying to be a wise-a*s, just trying to understand and get it right ... If some guy playing co-ed with a 'Non Approved' bat takes some gals head off, I don't want that on me ... would you? ... This Co-ed league is about as dangerous a game as I've ever seen ... Not that there aren't gals out there who are much better than some of the guys ... but there is a huge disparity in ability on both sides ...
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:42 am

You need the updated version, its only a page long and most of them would be most likely found on a sb field.

Bat approval is revoked sometimes at mfg request and sometimes by ASA for various reasons.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 am

wadeintothem wrote:You need the updated version, its only a page long and most of them would be most likely found on a sb field.

On what other type of field would you find them? :D
MTR

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 am

lol, i gotta stop posting after hot tourney days I swear.

It sounded good at the time...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner