Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Something to ponder

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by WildRoseCoach » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm

State 12U Championship game.

The team from the losers bracket batting first. They jumped on the pitcher scoring 3 quick runs and with bases loaded and 1 out the defensive team's coach calls time out and talks to the umpire saying the bases are too far apart. While the umpires are talking to the TD about it, and finding a measuring tape, and actually measuring the bases the coach of the defensive team calms his team and pitcher down. They get out of the inning not surrendering anymore runs. they ended up losing 4-1......

But something to ponder about :D
WildRoseCoach

by Whizzer86 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 pm

So............ the bases being too far apart should have benefited them, being the defensive team. Were the bases too far apart? What is there to really ponder? How did the "if" game turn out?
Whizzer86

by WildRoseCoach » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:14 am

No the bases were fine, but it gave the defensive team time to settle down. I just thought that was some good strategy to have enough time to settle down the nerves.

The if game was won by the team coming from the losers bracket
WildRoseCoach

by MTR » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm

WildRoseCoach wrote:No the bases were fine, but it gave the defensive team time to settle down. I just thought that was some good strategy to have enough time to settle down the nerves.

The if game was won by the team coming from the losers bracket

Oh, you mean as a stall-tactic to have the game stopped for an extended period without using any conferences.
MTR

by Tucson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Didn't they know which pegs the bases had been put in? How many choices did they have? We generally have 60 and 65.

I carry a tape measure in the bucket. That would have taken me 60 sec. to measure, but I probably would have ignored the coach.
Tucson

Return to The Umpire Corner