Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Obstruction question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Mick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:23 am

ASA 10U rec (just to explain why this happened in the first place)

Runner on 1st. Batter hits a ground ball up the middle that the centerfielder bobbles. The runner from 1st rounds 2nd and is obstructed by the SS who is standing on the base. The umpire's arm goes up and the runner continues to 3rd. The runner makes it to 3rd ahead of the throw, but overruns 3rd and is tagged by the 3rd baseman.

Is the runner safe and placed on 3rd or is she out because she was only protected to 3rd base?
Mick

by SoCalASABlue » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 am

R1 is protected by the OBS call between 2B and 3B only. R1 is out for overrunning 3B and being tagged by F5.
SoCalASABlue

by wadeintothem » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 am

The runner is protected to the base (the umpire judges) they would have reached had their been no obstruction; so this will be a judgement call on the part of the umpire. Conceivably, that runner could be protected all the way home. Baring a few exceptions, the runner cannot be called out between 2B and 3B (presuming the obs happened there, of which your scenario is not clear)

I would say in all likelyhood, based on the description, the runner is out. I doubt I would be protecting this runner home and have me a DMR out.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by PDad » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am

wadeintothem wrote:The runner is protected to the base (the umpire judges) they would have reached had their been no obstruction; so this will be a judgement call on the part of the umpire. Conceivably, that runner could be protected all the way home. Baring a few exceptions, the runner cannot be called out between 2B and 3B (presuming the obs happened there, of which your scenario is not clear)

I would say in all likelyhood, based on the description, the runner is out. I doubt I would be protecting this runner home and have me a DMR out.

What does DMR stand for?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Dumb Move Runner.

If the coach waved her home thinking she was protected to home.. that would be DMC

Dumb Move Coach
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Mick wrote:ASA 10U rec (just to explain why this happened in the first place)

Runner on 1st. Batter hits a ground ball up the middle that the centerfielder bobbles. The runner from 1st rounds 2nd and is obstructed by the SS who is standing on the base. The umpire's arm goes up and the runner continues to 3rd. The runner makes it to 3rd ahead of the throw, but overruns 3rd and is tagged by the 3rd baseman.

Is the runner safe and placed on 3rd or is she out because she was only protected to 3rd base?

Play as described, I have the runner out at third.
umpinva

by PDad » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 pm

wadeintothem wrote:Dumb Move Runner.

If the coach waved her home thinking she was protected to home.. that would be DMC

Dumb Move Coach

Thanks Wade! I got concerned it was a frequently used term, so I searched and found your post in November 2008 where you used it last and defined it. I'll try searching first next time.

I'd pin it on the 3B coach unless the runner ignored the coach telling her to stop at 3B.

Since it was 10u Rec, I'd say it was TRP - Typical Rec Play.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 am

TRP ! ... TFF ! :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Mick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:39 am

Since it was 10u Rec, I'd say it was TRP - Typical Rec Play

Pay the man Shirley!
Mick

Return to The Umpire Corner