Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Quick Catcher's to a bunt - can she block the batter path?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by DunninLA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:47 am

My DD has been catching for a couple of years, mostly because she gets bored playing other positions :) . She just started 14U. I have noticed that she and all catcher's I've seen wait for a right handed batter/runner to clear the catcher's path to a bunt before proceding to field the ball. This is especially relevant if the bunt is about 6' down the 1st base line, and there is a potential force play at 2nd or 3rd wherein a catcher's undelayed fielding could result in a force out.

That got me to thinking... doesn't the Catcher have the right to a clear path to the ball without waiting a half or full second for the batter-runner to clear the area?

Since I have NEVER (rec, travel, Gold, college, NPF, Olympics) seen the catcher fail to wait for batter/runner to clear, I assume there is a rule or point of emphasis somewhere that prohibits the catcher beating the batter/runner to the spot where the batter/runner's path to 1st base, and the Catcher's path to field the ball, cross -- resulting in a collision.
DunninLA

by wadeintothem » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am

Of course Int/OBS calls cant get into elongated discussions so my response is not an attempt to cover every point..

First, I dont know that all catchers wait; there are many catchers that will kill you, an umpire, a batter, and a small kitten to get to the ball.

As with any fielder, a catcher fielding a batted ball cannot be guilty of obstruction. If the batter-runner interferes with a fielder fielding a batter ball, that is interference.

There are no special rules involving the position of catcher in regards to fielding a bunt. The same rules apply as any other fielder and batter-runner/runner.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

This very play came up last weekend ... I think ... The Coach from the opposing team went fishing several times and I never asked the Blue what he was trolling on this occasion ... but the only thing I could fathom he was whinning about was INT on the BR after we had her lay down a bunt ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:28 pm

I'd appreciate a few rulings to make sure I understand this.

Situation #1: RH batter lays down a bunt 6 inches in front of homeplate and starts toward 1B. F2 goes behind BR after the ball and clips BR's foot in the process.

Case #1.a: BR falls down and F2 fields ball and tags BR. No OBS and BR out?
Case #1.b: F2 falls down and BR reaches 1B. Is BR safe or out for INT?

Situation #2: RH batter is jammed inside, but manages to lay down a bunt. F2 gets a good jump and goes in front of BR after the ball, but another player fields it so F2 pulls up and delays BR.

Case #2.a: Defense makes play and so quickly that BR would have been out anyway. BR out?
Case #2.b: Defense botches initial play, recovers to make 2nd play, but BR would have been safe if not delayed. BR safe due to OBS by F2 since F2 didn't actually field the ball?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:19 pm

DunninLA wrote:My DD has been catching for a couple of years, mostly because she gets bored playing other positions :) . She just started 14U. I have noticed that she and all catcher's I've seen wait for a right handed batter/runner to clear the catcher's path to a bunt before proceding to field the ball. This is especially relevant if the bunt is about 6' down the 1st base line, and there is a potential force play at 2nd or 3rd wherein a catcher's undelayed fielding could result in a force out.

That got me to thinking... doesn't the Catcher have the right to a clear path to the ball without waiting a half or full second for the batter-runner to clear the area?

Since I have NEVER (rec, travel, Gold, college, NPF, Olympics) seen the catcher fail to wait for batter/runner to clear, I assume there is a rule or point of emphasis somewhere that prohibits the catcher beating the batter/runner to the spot where the batter/runner's path to 1st base, and the Catcher's path to field the ball, cross -- resulting in a collision.

Speaking ASA

The nature of the game itself brings the defense and offense on collision courses.

In the instance described there is neither obstruction or interference as long as both players are doing what their are supposed to do.
MTR

by Redcup » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 pm

If there's a catcher that can pop out that quick,she is the shizzle!
Redcup

by MTR » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:55 am

Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
DunninLA wrote:My DD has been catching for a couple of years, mostly because she gets bored playing other positions :) . She just started 14U. I have noticed that she and all catcher's I've seen wait for a right handed batter/runner to clear the catcher's path to a bunt before proceding to field the ball. This is especially relevant if the bunt is about 6' down the 1st base line, and there is a potential force play at 2nd or 3rd wherein a catcher's undelayed fielding could result in a force out.

Speaking ASA

The nature of the game itself brings the defense and offense on collision courses.

In the instance described there is neither obstruction or interference as long as both players are doing what their are supposed to do.

HUH?
A runner going from second to third collides with a SS fielding a ground ball. They are both doing what they are supposed to do, run and field, so you have no call?

Come on, I know you can read, even with Jack's help. Being the good poster that I am, I couteously cited and responded directly to the post at hand, but you knew that.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner