Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ReNewed respect for ol' BLUE !

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by dittoz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:19 am

Got a call late Sat from an old coaching buddy, asking if I could come umpire a couple games for the friendly they were running Sunday. Feeling young and chipper, I said sure - especially seeing as it was a paying gig. Told him I'd even bring the MIDDLE out to do bases with me. I haven't umpired in probably 5 years...

What I didn't remember was that it was going to be 108* yesterday in the shade. I also neglected to remember how the thighs feel the following day (read RIGHT NOW) after going up and down across "a few games".

As it turns out, games were 1:15 drop dead which helped, but the 108* on the dirt felt like 120* and "a few" games turned into 5 back-to-back running from 10a to 5:15p with only a 15 minute or so break in between each. We brought a cooler out there of course with 15 bottles of cold water along with half a dozen gatorades and we were through all of it by midway through the 3rd game. Fortunately, my dear wife came by, replenished the supply and most of the teams were good about refilling our bottles from their jugs. In the end, I think we went through 25 bottles of drinks!

Parents were all good and there were very few of the typical umpire complaints (which maybe means we were doing it wrong!?) Now 5 games in a row is a bit much to ask I suspect, but we were helping out a friend. To Wade and his crews who endure this kind of thing on an ongoing basis week in and week out, I'd forgotten how taxing this can be and you have our utmost and reborn respect !
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:47 am

This was a really hot weekend. It was 108 at louis too. I'm glad all went well. Just walking out there for your first gig doing 5 in a row in that heat is a tough "welcome back" pill. See, you just gotta do it every weekend. My legs dont hurt at all, in fact I went to the gym after my last game last night. Ya wimp. :mrgreen:

But it was hotter than a mofo.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dittoz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:54 am

You went to the gym, I went home to the longest shower I think I've ever had and had to sit down I was so flippin tired. I could barely stand back up in there and started worrying that someone would find me in there dead, purple and soaking wet, drown in the shower!

The MIDDLE is 17, a pitcher on his varsity HS BB team and is in very good shape. He was even pretty wiped after we finished up. Of course, he did 3 games behind the dish and I only did two. Still, that heat is just a killer.

And Wade, what I forgot to mention is that I DO do it every weekend. The other times, I've been doing it from the bleachers! :lol: :o :lol:
dittoz

by MTR » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:23 pm

dittoz wrote:Got a call late Sat from an old coaching buddy, asking if I could come umpire a couple games for the friendly they were running Sunday.

Anyone who schedules you for five games in a row when the temperature is in the 60's is no buddy.
MTR

by dittoz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 pm

in the 60's...? ummmmmmmm...

Actually, he didn't do the scheduling, but yeah - you're right!
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:53 am

dittoz wrote:And Wade, what I forgot to mention is that I DO do it every weekend. The other times, I've been doing it from the bleachers! :lol: :o :lol:

Yah, it must suck having to move that pop up shade every couple of hours so your slurpie doesnt melt so quikly. Probably gets pretty tiring. :lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dittoz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 am

Boy, you don't know the half of it.
Before moving that damn pop-up, I have to negotiate with someone to sit under it because I'm too cheap to go buy one of my own.

Then, there's that whole cooler moving thing, and having to wiggle in so I can stand behind the backstop to criticize you, while coaching DD out of earshot of her coach.

It's a tough life, I'm telling you. I shoulda started working friendlies a long time ago! ;)
dittoz

Return to The Umpire Corner