Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

What do you call?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sheriff10 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 am

R1 on 3rd. No outs. Unreported sub at bat. 3-2 count.

Pitcher throws a wild pitch and runner scores. Defensive teams appeals the unreported sub.

We ruled the batter/runner out and the R1 returned to 3rd.

We talked after the game and debated what the call would have been had the count been 2-2 at the time the runner scored.

Any opinions?
Sheriff10

by dittoz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

2-2 and runner scores via a WP on an un-reported sub at bat.

Let me take a guess...

Batter is replaced if the defense appeals, new batter assumes the existing count and the runner returns to 3rd? Or, does the run score if the appeal had not yet occurred before the run crossed? Somehow, I don't think the run c/would be scored though.
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by MTR » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am

Sheriff10 wrote:R1 on 3rd. No outs. Unreported sub at bat. 3-2 count.

Pitcher throws a wild pitch and runner scores. Defensive teams appeals the unreported sub.

We ruled the batter/runner out and the R1 returned to 3rd.

Speaking ASA,

The player is now considered in the game under any circumstance.

If the player reached base safely, you ruling is correct. However, there is no resolution offered in the rules should the player not reach base safely. Hopefully, that hole will be closed at this years convention.

We talked after the game and debated what the call would have been had the count been 2-2 at the time the runner scored.

Nothing would happen except the player would now be considered in the game.
MTR

by Jalamander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:30 am

R1 on 3rd. No outs. Unreported sub at bat. 3-2 count.

Speaking ASA, you are correct. Unreported Substitute is disqualified and called out. Runners return to the last base occupied. Rule 4-6-C (3)

Speaking LL, you were incorrect. The unannounced substitute is made legal as soon as she stepped into the batter's box. Rule 3.08(a)(2)

what the call would have been had the count been 2-2 at the time the runner scored.

Speaking ASA, The unreported Substitute is disqualified and all actions stands. The run scores. Rule 4-6-C (1)

Speaking LL, it is the same, unannounced substitue is made leaga as soon as she stepped into the batter's box. Rule 3.08(a)(2)

Jalamander
Jalamander

by MTR » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Jalamander wrote:Speaking ASA, you are correct. Unreported Substitute is disqualified and called out. Runners return to the last base occupied. Rule 4-6-C (3)

Speaking ASA, The unreported Substitute is disqualified and all actions stands. The run scores. Rule 4-6-C (1)

Jalamander

Sorry, but you need a new rule book. Unreported Substitutes are no longer DQ'd in ASA
MTR

by Jalamander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Sorry, but you need a new rule book. Unreported Substitutes are no longer DQ'd in ASA

I was looking at the 2008 ASA rule book. Did I miss a newer version?

Jalamander
Jalamander

by PDad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Jalamander wrote:

I was looking at the 2008 ASA rule book. Did I miss a newer version?

Jalamander

Yep. Here is ASA's recap of the changes they made for 2009:
http://downloads.asasoftball.com/umpire ... sFinal.pdf

Rule 4 Section 6 C 1: Removes the penalty of disqualification from the
Substitution Rule.
Comment: This only removes the disqualification portion of the rule, the balance of the penalties still apply. The unreported substitute is now in the game and all rules regarding reentry still apply.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Jalamander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 am

Yep. Here is ASA's recap of the changes they made for 2009:
http://downloads.asasoftball.com/umpire ... sFinal.pdf

Rule 4 Section 6 C 1: Removes the penalty of disqualification from the
Substitution Rule.
Comment: This only removes the disqualification portion of the rule, the balance of the penalties still apply. The unreported substitute is now in the game and all rules regarding reentry still apply.

Thanks, PDad for the recap. And, thanks MTR for bringing this to my attention. I thought I had all my ducks in a row, but I missed a quacker. Totally forgot to check the ASA website for the 2009 rule changes.

Jalamander
Jalamander

Return to The Umpire Corner