Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference or no call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SnocatzDad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 pm

USSSA Nationals
R1 on third 2 outs, batter hits foul pop toward 3rb base dugout about 10 ft off foul line. F5 immediately breaks right towards ball and collides in foul territory with R1 heading home. No call is made. This is not going to effect the outcome of the game so I don't protest.

Asked umpire after game "How is that not interference." i got back
"runner was where she was supposed to be in foul territory, not trying to collide, incidental contact."

I let it go, but to me the heart of the rule is that if you feel the fielder would have made the play without the collision then it's interference. Intent and foul territory don't come into it do they?
SnocatzDad

by Jalamander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Intent and foul territory don't come into it do they?

The definition of Interference:
is an act (physical or verbal) by the team at bat, which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play....
I'd say intent or foul territory has no bearing on interference being called.

Jalamander
Jalamander

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Sounds like a typical grizzled veteran umpire "no call" because there was no "intent" on R1's part to interfere with the play - regardless of the fact that this is one of many situations that caused ASA to remove "intentional" from the rule book when it comes to interference. Many of the same umpires will not call obstruction unless there is contact, even when contact is not a requirement to make the call.
SoCalASABlue

Return to The Umpire Corner