Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hate to ask another strike zone ?...but...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Dog20 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Tournament in KY past weekend. I have a lefty pitcher, 14U. Natural break down and away from right handed batters. Early in game and few strikes called. Umpire told my catcher that the throws were missing outside. I could handle that. Couple more innings in and still very few called strikes. Had me wondering if I should change pitchers. The opposing coaches were even commenting to me that she was throwing what looked like ALOT of strikes that weren't getting called.

Finally got the best of me and I had to ask where she was missing. I was told that she was barely missing the outside cause the break carried the ball [i]through[i] the strike zone and to the outside.

Now this is where I got confused. I know the strike zone isn't a static thing in one place, but isn't it centered over Home plate and adjusted to the batter. How can a ball pass through the zone, break or not, and not be called a strike? I even asked if it was maybe hitting the front corner and then going outside. I was told it crossed the plate but broke out at the back...?

Could someone please tell me where I am getting lost in that interpretation of the strike zone? Am I wrong in my thinking or was the umpire wrong in their application of the calling?
Save the drama for your Momma. Just play ball !!!
Dog20

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I would almost bet it is how you are doing it.

Even if we told you that she was throwing strikes.. does that really help you? We cant see the pitch.

So approach it from a different point of view, because the reality is the only zone that matters out there is guess who?

I wrote this a few years back:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2076

That'll be some food for thought on perhaps a different approach.

Just as a side note, make sure you work something like you are describing at the lower end of the zone for best results. I doubt many blues would give you a high out side junker.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Dog20 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Not looking for you to say ball or strike. Was wondering how you interpret me being told the ball went through the zone but broke outside at the back for a called ball. Does the ball have to stay within the zone it's entire path to the mitt? As far as framing, my catcher tried a few but kept being told the pitches were going outside. Tried setting up inside and outside, too.

It was just the broke after going across the plate part that has me. I understand if it hit the front corner then out and was barely in the zone. But I asked and was told the pitch went through the zone then out... This was a one time type event. She (pitcher) usually gets the strike call. But it had us wondering if she needs to throw more inside to compensate for the break or was this just one of those rare times?
Save the drama for your Momma. Just play ball !!!
Dog20

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 pm

I interpret it to mean you aint getting the pitch so yes, try something else somewhere else. Why would you keep throwing where you aint getting the call?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Dog20 wrote:Finally got the best of me and I had to ask where she was missing. I was told that she was barely missing the outside cause the break carried the ball [i]through[i] the strike zone and to the outside.

Now this is where I got confused. I know the strike zone isn't a static thing in one place, but isn't it centered over Home plate and adjusted to the batter. How can a ball pass through the zone, break or not, and not be called a strike? I even asked if it was maybe hitting the front corner and then going outside. I was told it crossed the plate but broke out at the back...?

The umpire Gods are not going to like this, but right here is where you inform the umpire you are playing the game under protest.

HANG ON, folks, I'm not going to protest the judgment of the umpire, but his interpretation which is a protestable matter.

If the umpire told you the ball was passing through the zone, the moment he does not call it a strike it is a misinterpretation. A "in my judgment, it is breaking before the plate" would be a more suitable, understandable and, yes, acceptable response should the umpire respond at all, which he probably shouldn't. Of course, you would have to convince UIC, the umpire actually said what he said.

That said, you will not gain anything from this protest. The BEST CASE SCENARIO with which you could get would be for the last pitch to be corrected assuming you caught the umpire immediately after said pitch.

Actually, there isn't much of an up side for you if you protest. There is plenty of down sides and it would most likely involve your players though I abhor umpires who cannot separate one game from the next, physically, emotionally or professionally.

My suggestion is two-fold. As noted by Wade, stop throwing the ball that you KNOW it is not going to get called a strike. There is not going to be a separation of the clouds and a beam of light transporting the umpire to another dimension of a strike zone. :lol:

Secondly, find the UIC and comment to him/her aside as to what you encountered. If you had someone who also heard the umpire make that ridiculous comment, you may want them to verify, but at all cost, make sure the UIC knows you are trying to be helpful. I'm not saying things will be better, but you may get the UIC to put eyes on the umpire and make any correction THEY see fit to make. Just tell him what you heard, say thank you and walk away. Do not stand there waiting for an explanation or instruction. Do not act spiteful or whiney. That would probably just get your concern dismissed.

In my mind, the real best case scenario is that an umpire may receive additional counseling which may lead him to a better game and everyone will benefit.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:21 pm

I am in a rare, or maybe not so rare situation of still being a coach of a travel team and being an NFHS, ASA & NSA Umpire ... so when I read these threads I see both sides even if I don't want to ... even if , at times, I don't understand the Blue side as well as I hope to in the future ... ( as my astemed coleagues are quick to point out )... but, if the OP is accurate ... this Blue threw himself under the bus ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I am in a rare, or maybe not so rare situation of still being a coach of a travel team and being an NFHS, ASA & NSA Umpire ... so when I read these threads I see both sides even if I don't want to ... even if , at times, I don't understand the Blue side as well as I hope to in the future ... ( as my astemed coleagues are quick to point out )... but, if the OP is accurate ... this Blue threw himself under the bus ...

So many umps do that. they screw themselves with their own yap.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Return to The Umpire Corner