Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Continous and solid layer of tape/grip on bat handle?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:57 pm

ASA rules, I'm trying to figure out if you need a sold layer(no bat handle showing in the first 10 inches) of wrap,grip or tape on the bat handle. I think ASA rules says it does not need to be solid layer, but I know Umps have said they would throw out a bat if the wrap, grip or tape doesn't cover the bat handle. How do you interpret rule 3.1.h?
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:18 pm

"shall"

There is no room for interpretation IMO.

It must have a 10" safety grip.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 pm

The safety grip must be a continuous 10", not a random assortment separated 10" apart :)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 am

Spazsdad wrote:I think the question is does the grip have to be a solid layer or could you wrap the handle and leave a gap between the bands of the spiral where you would see the bat through the grip

The material used must be continuous, not a solid layer.

That means the there can be no breaks in the taping, it does not mean the tape must overlap to complete hide the handle of the bat.

Many may not remember how we taped bats 50 years ago. Tape wasn't cheap (and often stolen from our father's tool box), so it wasn't wasted.

"Spaced" taping, IMO, actually provides more of a grip than that of a solid layer of tape or manufactured grip.
MTR

by hotwheels » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:31 am

Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:I think the question is does the grip have to be a solid layer or could you wrap the handle and leave a gap between the bands of the spiral where you would see the bat through the grip

The material used must be continuous, not a solid layer.

That means the there can be no breaks in the taping, it does not mean the tape must overlap to complete hide the handle of the bat.

Many may not remember how we taped bats 50 years ago. Tape wasn't cheap (and often stolen from our father's tool box), so it wasn't wasted.

"Spaced" taping, IMO, actually provides more of a grip than that of a solid layer of tape or manufactured grip.

Thanks MTR.
Interestingly I have seen bats pulled because the grip has shifted and you could now see the handle through the gaps.

Ditto that....2 bats pulled at State this year for exactly that reason....
hotwheels

by wadeintothem » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:08 am

If you use a bat that has handle exposed within the 10", expect the real possibility of it getting pulled at a Qualifier or a National. Even if Mike is technically correct, and its common in men's ball to see wraps like that, at the JO level the dominent thought IMO is continuous= all of it. I've never pulled a bat for it, but IMO it will end up in a shed before tourney end, I'd almost guarantee it. Also to me, even if the wrap was not legal, this falls under a "fixable item", so I would ask the coach if he could fix it, then I wouldnt have to pull it. You shouldnt pull even an illegal wrap if they can fix it.

I'm not fond of pulling bats. Sometimes, with a marginal thing, I will tell the coach "You know, I'm not going to pull it, but dont be suprised if it is pulled".

This issue falls into the shade of Grey IMO and I doubt that even UIC to UIC there would be exact consistency of thought.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by softballdadcoach » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 am

Also, don't further rules state that you cannot have multiple layers of tape on the bat handle? That is, you cannot add 3 or 4 additional layers of tape to the already existing handle material? Is there anything in the rules about what 'kind' of tape to use--on my girls older bats from 10u and 12u days, I repaired them with hockey tape? The hockey tape seemed to let some of the 'sticky' through and I often wondered if that might make that kind of tape illegal...

If these are true, MTR and wade, is this a judgement on your part, or do you have to look to pull layers of tape off a bat that looks suspiciously 'fat' or sticky or whatever?
softballdadcoach

by wadeintothem » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:28 pm

its 2 layers..

The intent is so you dont build up a wrap and thus, make it unsafe when swinging the bat.

So thats what I watch for. I dont have a "layer measurer" but I would know something is wrong if I saw it.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Jalamander » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Here's the rule from the 2008 ASA Rule Book. The bolded emphasis is mine.

3-1-H Safety Grip.
The official bat shall have a safety grip of cork, tape (no smooth plastic tape) or composition material. The Safety Grip shall not be less than 10.0 inches long, and shall not extend more than 15.0 inches from the small/knob end of the bat. The Safety Grip may be a molded finger-formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat or attached to the bat with safety tape. Resin, pine tar or spray substances are permissible on the Safety Grip only. Any tape applied to the Safety Grip must be continuously spiral, but does not have to be a solid layer of tape. The Safety Grip may not exceed two layers of tape. A bat having a “flare” or “cone” grip attached will be considered an Altered Bat.

softballdadcoach wrote:Is there anything in the rules about what 'kind' of tape to use--on my girls older bats from 10u and 12u days, I repaired them with hockey tape? The hockey tape seemed to let some of the 'sticky' through and I often wondered if that might make that kind of tape illegal.

Hockey Tape is okay....even if it is oozing 'sticky' stuff.
Jalamander

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Back in the day ... I preferred the hockey tape ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner