Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference or Not?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by buckfor3 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:56 pm

Runner on Second, no outs, left handed batter up. Pitch is thrown inside and called a ball. Runner on second attempts to steal third. Catchers moves to the outside of the batter and throws the ball. As the ball is thrown, batter is stepping out of box and ball goes off batter's helmet and rolls to the dugout fence in which the ball is retrieved without the runner advancing to home. Ball is returned to the pitcher in pitcher's circle and play has ended. I call timeout to talk to umpire. Umpire does not rule interference because "the batter had one foot in the box at the time the ball was thrown". The rule that I read stated something to the effect that the batter has a right to the batters box in the "normal action of a swing". My argument is there was no swing and after the pitch occurred she has the duty to get out of the way of any additional plays made once the pitch occurred. To me this is no different than a pass ball or wild pitch in which the batter must get out of the way of a play being made at home. Please help with interpretation of rule.
buckfor3

by PDad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:17 pm

LHB interfering with a play at 3B? It's usually a RHB in the left batter's box.

There are actually 3 rules that cover your post. If there is a play at the plate, the batter has to get out of the way. Otherwise, the batter is entitled to maintain their position in their box and the catcher has to work around them. If the batter moves - inside the box or outside - they're not allowed to hinder the catcher.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:56 am

buckfor3 wrote:Runner on Second, no outs, left handed batter up. Pitch is thrown inside and called a ball. Runner on second attempts to steal third. Catchers moves to the outside of the batter and throws the ball. As the ball is thrown, batter is stepping out of box and ball goes off batter's helmet and rolls to the dugout fence in which the ball is retrieved without the runner advancing to home. Ball is returned to the pitcher in pitcher's circle and play has ended. I call timeout to talk to umpire. Umpire does not rule interference because "the batter had one foot in the box at the time the ball was thrown". The rule that I read stated something to the effect that the batter has a right to the batters box in the "normal action of a swing". My argument is there was no swing and after the pitch occurred she has the duty to get out of the way of any additional plays made once the pitch occurred. To me this is no different than a pass ball or wild pitch in which the batter must get out of the way of a play being made at home. Please help with interpretation of rule.

After you "requested" time :) ......

Have no idea how a LHB got involved with a throw to 3B.

Speaking ASA, the batter may not actively hinder the catcher's ability to make a throw to make a play on a runner (7.6.R & S). Location of batter is irrelevant. The batter is not hindering if actions are part of the swing or normal follow through of the swing. The batter is NOT required to move out of the way for the catcher to make a throw. IOW, if s/he takes the pitch, the batter is permitted to maintain their stance.

Do not confuse this with a batter hindering a catcher on a play at the plate. That does not apply to this scenario.

It should be noted that there must actually be a play available to the catcher for INT to be ruled
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner