Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

BR after ball 4

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sapper33 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am

Runner on 3B; Batter recieves ball 4 and advances toward 1B; F2 throws ball to F3 in order to prevent the BR from making the turn towards 2B; BR passes 1B(touches 1B) and peels off into foul territory; F3 tags BR; is BR out or safe?
sapper33

by sapper33 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Sorry, NFHS rules...
sapper33

by Patrick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 am

safe!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bretman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

On ball four, the batter becomes a batter-runner. As such, the batter-runner is afforded the same protection against being tagged out after overrunning first base as any other batter-runner

NFHS rule 8-1-1 covers all of the ways a batter becomes a batter-runner (a fair hit, an uncaught third strike, a base on balls, catcher obstruction, etc.).

Rule 8-8-9 notes that a batter-runner overrunning first base and returning directly to the base cannot be put out.

Of all the baseball and softball rule sets I've worked and am familiar with, the ONLY one that says the batter-runner is in jeopardy of being tagged out if overrunning first base after a walk is FED high school baseball. It is an interpretation unique to their game, I'm not quite sure why they rule it that way, but it is what it is. I mention this because I have seen instances where a high school umpire that works both sports has (wrongly) tried to apply that same exception in a fastpitch game.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Return to The Umpire Corner