Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

2 questions

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Daniel71475 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:58 am

First one.

Batter squares to bunt and dose not move the bat. not up, down, in, out, front, or back. The pitch is High Batter dose not pull back. The blue calls it a ball saying she did not offer, that she did not move the bat or make an attempt at it. I thought having the bat over the plate was the attempt?

Second one

Runner on first batter hits a base hit the runner advances to second. My pitcher get the ball and turns to home and takes 2 steps towards the rubber and is about to take the sign and the girl on second steals third. This happened twice and I tried to argue that the pitcher was ready for the next batter and the previous play was already stopped and the girl should be out for leaving early but the blue would not listen. Am I right ?
Daniel71475

by hotwheels » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 am

Daniel71475 wrote:First one.

Batter squares to bunt and dose not move the bat. not up, down, in, out, front, or back. The pitch is High Batter dose not pull back. The blue calls it a ball saying she did not offer, that she did not move the bat or make an attempt at it. I thought having the bat over the plate was the attempt?

Second one

Runner on first batter hits a base hit the runner advances to second. My pitcher get the ball and turns to home and takes 2 steps towards the rubber and is about to take the sign and the girl on second steals third. This happened twice and I tried to argue that the pitcher was ready for the next batter and the previous play was already stopped and the girl should be out for leaving early but the blue would not listen. Am I right ?

Question 1 = Ball....If she doesn't move the bat and it doesn't make contact with the ball...it is a ball....

Question 2 = I'm confused... :? Where is she again?
hotwheels

by Daniel71475 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 am

Runner on first, base hit runner on first advances to second. So runners on first and second. pitcher gets the ball back starts walking back to the rubber. Stops behind the rubber to get the sign, Runner on Second steals third.
Daniel71475

by SnocatzDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Question #1 - It is a ball unless it's NFHS rules. HS changed last year and made it a POE that leaving the bat in the zone is a strike.

Question #2 - If the runner at 2nd never stops advancing from the time the ball in in control then play is still live. Pitcher should Look Back the lead runner until either the runner settles on the base, ump calls time, or umpire calls runner out for Look Back Rule violation for hesitating or reveresing direction. Runner can be standing on the base when the ball is thrown to pitcher in circle and lead off on the throw, but has to immeditely commit to either going forward or retreating once pitcher receives the ball in the circle has control and isn't attempting a play.
SnocatzDad

by Comp » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Your first questions depends on what rule set you are playing under. In high school ball not pulling the bat back is considered an attempt and would be a strike. In ASA and most others, simply holding the bat still is not an attempt and a pitched ball outside the strike zone would be a ball.

As for your second question, it is a situation where had to be there to see it. Throwing the ball back to the circle does not kill play. The ball is live in softball and merely throwing the ball back to the pitcher in the circle invokes the look back rule. If the runner at 2nd was in contact with the base and then stepped off after the ball was in the circle this would be a violation and the runner would be out. However, if the runner had rounded 2nd and was off the bag, they have the ability to either attempt to advance to 3rd or return to 2nd. Again, would have had to be there to see what exactly happened and the timing of how it happened.
Comp

by 22'sDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Comp wrote:Your first questions depends on what rule set you are playing under. In high school ball not pulling the bat back is considered an attempt and would be a strike. In ASA and most others, simply holding the bat still is not an attempt and a pitched ball outside the strike zone would be a ball.

As for your second question, it is a situation where had to be there to see it. Throwing the ball back to the circle does not kill play. The ball is live in softball and merely throwing the ball back to the pitcher in the circle invokes the look back rule. If the runner at 2nd was in contact with the base and then stepped off after the ball was in the circle this would be a violation and the runner would be out. However, if the runner had rounded 2nd and was off the bag, they have the ability to either attempt to advance to 3rd or return to 2nd. Again, would have had to be there to see what exactly happened and the timing of how it happened.

I would have never guessed that question #1 would have been a ball since the bat was in the zone and would have argued that one all day, good question.

The way I read question #2 is that the runner was parked on second when the ball was in the circle and should have been called out upon leaving the bag.
22'sDad

by Daniel71475 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 am

No she was parked on second pitcher got the ball turned and walked to the rubber. a good 2 or 3 seconds had gone by before she left.
Daniel71475

by Comp » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:04 am

If exactly as you describe, the runner should have been out for a look back violation.

Was your pitcher doing anything with the ball? Here again you have differences in rules, under NFHS rules pitcher only has to have possession of the ball. Short of laying it on the ground she can get away with a lot of things. However, under ASA rules, they specify control of ball. If a pitcher takes her glove with the ball off and puts it under her arm to play with her hair, or between her legs etc this is no longer considered control and runners are free to go.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner