Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Player Sub - Appeal Play - College

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Makina » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Witnessed a weird situation occur in a recent college game and wanted to find out the correct ruling.

Batter hits double and coach calls time to insert a sub to run for the player on 2B. After sub has been brought into the game, a defensive infielder appeals for a missed base and umpire calls runner out for missing 1B.

Question - Is the original hitter of record called out and therefore the substitution never occurred or is the substitute called out and thus stays in the line-up?
Makina

by PDad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Substitute is in the game if recorded prior to the appeal.

8.5.1.8 Substitutes shall be considered officially in the game when the substitution is reported to and accepted by the plate umpire and recorded on the official lineup card. The plate umpire shall then
announce the substitution to the opposing coach, the official scorer and the public-address announcer (if applicable).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Not that my agreement is necessary; but I agree. The sub is officially in the game.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:19 pm

UmpSteve wrote:Not that my agreement is necessary; but I agree. The sub is officially in the game.

Thanks for confirming my interpretation. Your input is always welcome.

In fact, what are your thoughts regarding possible interference on the B-R for discarding the bat onto the field and her path to 1B in the :40-:45 section of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sd59FQ0IZA&t=39?

Any thoughts on NCAA doing away with the runner's lane this year?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner