Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter hit on hands while holding bat

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Opposite Field » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:58 am

This happened in Texas High School ball which I believe uses NFHS rules.

Batter was hit by pitched ball on hand while hands were wrapped around bat handle. Absolutely no swing. Umpire ruled foul ball. Was this the correct ruling?

I am not absolutely sure if the umpire ruled it did not hit the hand but hit the bat instead or if he agreed it hit hands but used the mythical "hands are part of the bat" to call foul ball.

Thanks!
Opposite Field

by PDad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Opposite Field wrote:This happened in Texas High School ball which I believe uses NFHS rules.

Batter was hit by pitched ball on hand while hands were wrapped around bat handle. Absolutely no swing. Umpire ruled foul ball. Was this the correct ruling?

I am not absolutely sure if the umpire ruled it did not hit the hand but hit the bat instead or if he agreed it hit hands but used the mythical "hands are part of the bat" to call foul ball.

Thanks!

Looks like you answered your own question.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rozzza13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:39 am

It could also be that the batters hands were over the strike zone when she was hit.In that case it is a dead ball strike.
rozzza13

by MTR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:28 pm

rozzza13 wrote:It could also be that the batters hands were over the strike zone when she was hit.In that case it is a dead ball strike.

Over the strike zone, no. In the strike zone, yes.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner