Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

drop 3rd

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by deadball » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:30 pm

two outs runner at third. batter takes strike 3. catcher drops ball. batter stands outside batters box, catcher just stands with the ball. in the meantime runner scores from third. catcher finaly tags batter. is the tag a force out, and does the run count
deadball

by josephrt1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:21 am

run does not count, batter-runner was put out before reaching 1st base and this was the 3rd out. Inning over, runner from 3rd does not score. If you have your ASA book, check out rule supplement 43, "run scoring on the 3rd out of an inning". The first sentence answers your question. I don't do high school now and i never did college, but all these codes, including MLB have the same rule. The specific rule in ASA softball is Rule 5, Section 5, item B.

If the 3rd out is the batter-runner being put out before reaching 1st base or a force out at any base, the run does not score.
Last edited by josephrt1 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josephrt1

by josephrt1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:26 am

BTW. the batter-runner being put out before reaching 1st base is not considered a force out. Its specifically referred ot as the "batter-runner being put out before reaching first base". Its kind of weird and it has the same effect as a force out, but because the definition of a force out says a force out occurs when a runner looses the right to a base when the batter becomes a batter-runner. So the proper use of the term Force Out can only apply to a runner who was already on base.

This is also true in all levels of softball and baseball. check the definition in any of these codes.
josephrt1

by deadball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:01 am

Thank you. I made the proper call, but not for the right reason.
deadball

Return to The Umpire Corner