Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

going into the dugout

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:15 am

MTR wrote:7.3.D does not apply. OP clearly states the batter swinging at a pitch and that is an exception to the rule.

Agree, and I should have noted it.
MTR wrote:The umpire does not need to chase down the batter to direct them to enter the BB. So, if the batter is in the dugout, how does she know the umpire didn't direct her to the BB at the plate? :D

And he shouldn't chase down the batter. "Coach, your batter isn't finished here." Then count to 10, in octal ;), or binary :o, then ring her up. If the umpire says nothing, I should protest in a crucial game situation. Since bad luck is the only luck I have, she'll strike out anyway. :oops:
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

Crabby_Bob wrote: "Coach, your batter isn't finished here." Then count to 10, in octal ;), or binary :o, then ring her up.

But the umpire still has not directed the batter to enter the box.

If the umpire says nothing, I should protest in a crucial game situation.

You will not win that protest.
MTR

by BlitzkriegBob » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 am

i'mcoaching3rd wrote:would like to know the call (1 and 1 count on the batter ,batter swings at stike 2 and runs into the dugout). is she out or not and why.

If you want a more detailed explanation than what Jalamander provided, it is that the provision for declaring the Batter-Runner out (ASA Rule 8-2-D) only applies to the Batter-Runner. Rule 1 (ASA) defines a Batter-Runner as a player who has completed a turn at bat but has not yet been put out or reached first base. In your situation, the batter is still only a batter, and not yet a Batter-Runner. ASA Rule 7-6, A through S, lists the ways the batter is out, and entering the dugout is not one of them.
BlitzkriegBob

by Bretman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:31 am

And there's another similar rule- 8-7-U. This rule notes that a runner is out when abandoning a base and entering the dugout/dead ball area.

So there is a rule that says a batter-runner can be out for leaving live ball area and a rule that says a runner can be out for leaving live ball area, but there isn't any rule that says a batter is out for doing the same.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by softballdadcoach » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 am

BlitzkriegBob wrote:
i'mcoaching3rd wrote:would like to know the call (1 and 1 count on the batter ,batter swings at stike 2 and runs into the dugout). is she out or not and why.

If you want a more detailed explanation than what Jalamander provided, it is that the provision for declaring the Batter-Runner out (ASA Rule 8-2-D) only applies to the Batter-Runner. Rule 1 (ASA) defines a Batter-Runner as a player who has completed a turn at bat but has not yet been put out or reached first base. In your situation, the batter is still only a batter, and not yet a Batter-Runner. ASA Rule 7-6, A through S, lists the ways the batter is out, and entering the dugout is not one of them.

As usual my infallible memory lets me down.... Checked with one of my DD and she tells me that I am remembering a call on one of her teammates who assumed the throw to 1st on a chopper to the pitcher. The then batter-runner peels off and goes into the dugout while the throw sailed over 1st base's head. I am slow, but now I get it--it is the batter-only versus the batter-runner that makes the difference. See, this is why I always coached and never umpired..... ;)
softballdadcoach

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner