Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Does runner advance?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by greenandblue » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:50 am

Here's the question of the week.... Batter bunts, catcher picks up the ball, throws the ball to first at which time she hits the batter in the back. Batter is called out by the home plate umpire because she is not in the "running lane" (actually, she was about 2 feet into fair territory). At the time that the umpire calls the batter out, he also yells "dead ball". Our question is,... a runner at first base was running to second base at the time "dead ball" was called and, after conferring, the umpires decided she could advance and did not have to go back to first.

Thanks for any input! (Or opinions)
kmaca
greenandblue

by JEL » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:51 am

Once the interference occured, the ball does indeed become dead. All runners should be returned to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
JEL

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 am

greenandblue wrote:Here's the question of the week.... Batter bunts, catcher picks up the ball, throws the ball to first at which time she hits the batter in the back. Batter is called out by the home plate umpire because she is not in the "running lane" (actually, she was about 2 feet into fair territory). At the time that the umpire calls the batter out, he also yells "dead ball". Our question is,... a runner at first base was running to second base at the time "dead ball" was called and, after conferring, the umpires decided she could advance and did not have to go back to first.

Thanks for any input! (Or opinions)

INT concerning players = dead ball, Someones out (sometimes 2 outs) , and people go back... that is always.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by socalsoftball » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:22 pm

The rule book says that if interference is called on the batter-runner is called that the batter-runner is out. It says nothing about any other runners having to go back to previous bases like it does with some other situations. This makes sense because at the time of the play the fielder made a decision to get the runner at first and therefor chose to let the other runner(s) advance to the next base. so they should not be forced back to the base they previously occuppied before the interference.
socalsoftball

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:30 pm

socalsoftball wrote:The rule book says that if interference is called on the batter-runner is called that the batter-runner is out. It says nothing about any other runners having to go back to previous bases like it does with some other situations. This makes sense because at the time of the play the fielder made a decision to get the runner at first and therefor chose to let the other runner(s) advance to the next base. so they should not be forced back to the base they previously occuppied before the interference.

Not sure which rule book you are looking at, but speaking ASA..

wrong.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey! I almost forgot... I have my handy dandy Rule PDF..

Your idea would certainly make a new interesting Stat category: Sacrifice Interference.. :lol: A little easier than running down the base line, just lay a good hit on someone to advance the runners! :geek:

I dont know if you are an ASA Parent nor am i familiar with the various other lower level league rules if you arent ASA.. but for your edification.. the ASA Rule:

<snipped for brevity>

The Batter-Runner is out:

E. When the batter-runner runs outside the three-foot lane and, in the umpire’s
judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base;.....

F. When the batter-runner interferes with:
1. a fielder attempting to field a batted ball,
2. a fielder attempting to throw the ball,
3. a thrown ball while out of the batter’s box,
4. by making contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base,
5. by discarding their bat in a manner that prevents the defense from
making a play on the ball,
6. (Fast Pitch) a dropped third strike.
NOTE: If this interference is an attempt to prevent a double play, the runner
closest to home plate shall be called out.
G. When the batter-runner interferes with a play at home plate in an attempt to
prevent an out at home plate.
EFFECT: The runner is also out.
H. When the batter-runner steps back toward home plate to avoid or delay a
tag by a fielder.
EFFECT - Section 2 D-H: The ball is dead and runner(s) must return to the
last base legally touched at the time of the interference.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:46 pm

socalsoftball wrote:The rule book says that if interference is called on the batter-runner is called that the batter-runner is out. It says nothing about any other runners having to go back to previous bases like it does with some other situations. This makes sense because at the time of the play the fielder made a decision to get the runner at first and therefor chose to let the other runner(s) advance to the next base. so they should not be forced back to the base they previously occuppied before the interference.

What rule book are you referring to? :?
umpinva

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 pm

umpinva wrote:

What rule book are you referring to? :?

Maybe the Sacrifice Interference Play to advance the runners is a So Cal thing... :o
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by socalsoftball » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:09 am

tag by a fielder.

Am I misunderstanding the format of the rule book, it seems to me from reading the rules that umpinva posted (which is the same rule book that I was reading) that the only time when the runner(s) is asked to return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference is:

tag by a fielder.

The only other situation that had a different "EFFECT" was:

The rest of the situations had no "EFFECT" written down so I am assuming that the batter-runner is out with no "EFFECT" to the runners.

Please let me know if I am misinterpreting the format.
socalsoftball

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm

The rule book is structured like the following in most areas:

This happens if

A. this happens
B. that happens
C. another thing happens

Effect A-C: What will also be done

In the rule above:

THE BATTER RUNNER IS OUT IF
any of that stuff happens

"Effects" will be in addition to the Batter Runner being out.

So, if you were trying to understand a rule..
Your question would possibly be:

What happens if a batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball?

You would go to this section and read it as follows:

8.2 The batter-runner is out when a batter-runner interferes with 8.2.F.1. a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. EFFECT The ball is dead, and all runners must return to the base last occupied at the time of the interference.

Thats the best I can do to explain it to you....
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner