Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Walk with Runner on 3rd question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by pbj2000 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello blues,

I read the boards and kind of got the answer to this question but I want something a little more solidified.

If pitch walks my runner and we have a runner on 3rd. Runner on 3rd leads off...catch throws ball immediately to pitch who has position in the circle...Runner 2 hasn't reached 1st yet...does Runner 1 have to return to 3rd or committ to home? or how long can they hang out (lead off) before they have to committ?

I have read that once BR reaches 1 the R1 has to committ...??? :arrow:
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

by Comp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:56 pm

The look back rule is not in effect until the batter/runner reaches 1st base, even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle. As soon as the b/r reaches 1st, the other runners must immediately make a decision and advance or return to base, unless the pitcher makes an attempt on one of the runners.
Comp

by Jalamander » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Comp wrote:The look back rule is not in effect until the batter/runner reaches 1st base, even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle. As soon as the b/r reaches 1st, the other runners must immediately make a decision and advance or return to base, unless the pitcher makes an attempt on one of the runners.

As Comp noted, this is true in most rule sets (ASA, Fed, NCAA, etc.). However, not so in Little League Softball. In LL the look back rule is in effect when the pitcher has the ball in the circle...even if the batter-runner has not made it to 1st.
Jalamander

by HugoTafurst » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:57 pm

pbj2000 wrote:Hello blues,

I read the boards and kind of got the answer to this question but I want something a little more solidified.

:

If by "solidified", you mean something other than an answer given on "the boards", try reading the exact rule.
Make sure you read the book appropriate to the rules you are playing under, because as has been noted, the timing varies.

For instance, NFHS Rule:
SECTION 7 (F.P.) LOOK-BACK RULE
ART. 1 . . . The look-back rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batterrunner
has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession
of the ball within the pitcher's circle. (2-45)

Solid??
HugoTafurst

by TXBlue » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I asked our UIC on this one at the beginning of the year because of how the rule is written. I'm not here to argue whether he is right or wrong but I call the game per his guidance. Here's what I was told...

The runner on 3rd still needs to commit to home or third when the ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle and she makes no action to make a play. After a walk, they would not be allowed to stand off the base waiting for the batter to walk to first. The rule is meant for a batted ball and not for a walked batter. The loopback rule is in effect for other runners while the batter is walking to first.

For reference, I was directly talking about ASA rules. So far, I haven't had to make this call on the field. If you have a response from someone at a national level with clarification, then I would welcome it and go back to my UIC. Otherwise I'm staying with following his direction.
TXBlue

by Comp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Im not sure where your UIC is coming up with this translation, it is completely contradictory to the way the rules are written.

8-1-C

When 4 balls have been called by the umpire, the "batter-runner" is awarded first base.

Notice, the player is refered to as a "batter-runner"

Definitions

Batter-runner, A player who has completed a turn at bat but has not yet been put out or reached first base.

Rules supplement 34-A.

The "look back" rule does not go into effect for any runner until the "batter-runner" touches first base or is called outm, and the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius circle.

No where in the rules does it state that this rule does not apply in the case of a walked batter. At our rules clinics and at the ASA national school this rule was also discussed and in all cases we were told that until the batter-runner steps on first the rule is not in effect.
Comp

by deadball » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Not so in Little Leage and Babe Ruth softball
deadball

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:17 am

TXBlue wrote:I asked our UIC on this one at the beginning of the year because of how the rule is written. I'm not here to argue whether he is right or wrong but I call the game per his guidance. Here's what I was told...

The runner on 3rd still needs to commit to home or third when the ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle and she makes no action to make a play. After a walk, they would not be allowed to stand off the base waiting for the batter to walk to first. The rule is meant for a batted ball and not for a walked batter. The loopback rule is in effect for other runners while the batter is walking to first.

For reference, I was directly talking about ASA rules. So far, I haven't had to make this call on the field. If you have a response from someone at a national level with clarification, then I would welcome it and go back to my UIC. Otherwise I'm staying with following his direction.

I believe your UIC is confusing rules ... he was quoting you the 'loopback' rule ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by nohesitation » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:09 am

TXBlue wrote:I asked our UIC on this one at the beginning of the year because of how the rule is written. I'm not here to argue whether he is right or wrong but I call the game per his guidance. Here's what I was told...

Txblue,
I was going to respond but Comp beat me to it. In the future you should read the rules thoroughly before using ASA rule interpretations from your UIC. I am curious, assuming you read the rules, what part of the rules lead you to believe your UIC was right? I’m not looking for an “argument” just substance.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

Return to The Umpire Corner