Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpiring your child

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Davidsonsk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am

The question is are you allowed to umpire when your own child is on that team in the game that you have. No opinions here. I know there's a potential conflict of interest. Thats a given. Lets just stick with the facts. I appreciate it.
Davidsonsk
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Davidsonsk wrote:The question is are you allowed to umpire when your own child is on that team in the game that you have. No opinions here. I know there's a potential conflict of interest. Thats a given. Lets just stick with the facts. I appreciate it.

Allowed??

Only the agency/league/administrator can make a RULE that one could not. Our GHSA (Georgia High School Association) has such a rule; several of the NCAA conferences that I work with have a requirement to report such a conflict, but it remains their option (doubt it would happen, however). These have those administrative rules because the actual playing rule books (USA/ASA, NCAA, NFHS/PGF) do not.

So, check with whatever is the administrator of the games you are concerned about. Or be more specific so others with knowledge of that situation can give you an answer with facts.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

You should report the potential conflict to your UIC or scheduler. In my case my kid played Varsity high school and I was not allowed to umpire any Varsity teams within her league. For Rec league I was not allowed to Umpire any team in her age division. If this happens during a travel tournament, you should just ask another umpire to switch fields and then you won't have any problems.
Makina

Return to The Umpire Corner