Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Slide or Avoid

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by McGee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:02 pm

The catcher's position appears unchanged from before untill after the runner passed. Her shoulders and feet would have opened toward the third base line if there was significant contact. It seems OBS or "train wreck are more likely than INT. I
McGee

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 pm

I don't see a lowered left shoulder for which I would call INT or USC...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Crabby_Bob » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:30 am

Looks to me like the runner was tripped by catcher's foot in photo 2 and the result is photo 3.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by canecountry » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Clearly there is a elbow, who does she think she is Arod Jr
canecountry

by absdad » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:04 pm

My dd is a catcher, so i'm probably looking at this differently than most. The catcher is not blocking home, and not straddling the baseline. IMO the baseline is not obstructed at all. The catcher's left foot is probably a few inches inside of fair territory in the first pic, and she doesn't have control of the ball, but certainly looks to be trying to catch a bad throw. In the second photo, it looks like the catcher has started turning to the left to make the tag, the left foot is now further inside of fair territory. The runner clearly has room (doesn't appear to have altered her path at all). The third obviously they got their feet tangled up.

The runner could run the line, or slightly right, she still had a path to the base. The catcher was fielding the ball.
absdad

by Comp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Baseline and basepath are two completely different things. It is completely conceivable that a catcher could be standing directly on the baseline, but not be blocking the base path, or the catcher could be well off the baseline and blocking the basepath. The baseline is the direct line between bases, the basepath is the path set by the runner to the next base and could literally be anywhere on the field.

In the photos, the runner is clearly inside the line in the first photo, therefore her basepath is also inside the line. The catcher may be set up inside the line, but she is also set up directly in the runners basepath. The catcher is also not "fielding" the ball, she is waiting to receive a throw from the field. Only a fielder making an initial play on a batted ball is protected from comitting an act of obstruction. Waiting to receive a throw is not protected.

Yes, the runner could run slightly right, but she isnt. The runner does not have to change her path to suit the defense. If she has to alter her path or is hindered in any way by a defensive player without posession of the ball, she has been obstructed. Photos indicate probable obstruction.
Comp

by absdad » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 am

What about that contact? Is that considered incidental? And how much is intent weighed in to blue's decision?
absdad

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner