Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Stealing Players -- Any options?

by dodgerblue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Bottom line if a player under contract leaves there is nothing you can do about it. There is nothing that ASA will do to support you.

I have to disagree with you on that one I seen it happen to a player last year she signed a contract and wanted out of it and ASA stood behind the player contract and she was not allowed to play any ASA championship tournaments.
dodgerblue

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:58 pm

dodgerblue wrote:
Bottom line if a player under contract leaves there is nothing you can do about it. There is nothing that ASA will do to support you.

I have to disagree with you on that one I seen it happen to a player last year she signed a contract and wanted out of it and ASA stood behind the player contract and she was not allowed to play any ASA championship tournaments.

Wow, never heard that one. I just know that Sam had issues and they supported the player.
Sftbll4ever

by dodgerblue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:05 pm

I couldn't beleive it either but she wasn't allowed to play the rest of the year so she ended up going to Triple Crown last summer. I guess it goes on a case by case basis. Is it worth taking that chance?
dodgerblue

by dodgerblue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Was this before or after championship play? Once redlined that is the only time ASA locks players

It was before chamionship play beleive me the dad tried everything to be released and lost. It was up to the team she committed to and the manager refused to release the player. I think that it's good to sign a contract and it should hold weight because if it didn't then everyone will be leaving their teams to try to go to nationals on some other team.
dodgerblue

by GSB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm

I think everyone missed the point. The contracts are not out until February. This is the time to be looking and switching teams if you want to. No need to be angry, she is following the rules and acting within ethical standards. The fact that you picked up her prior costs was great. You did a wonderful thing for another person. The act paying her way was for her performance while she was on your team. It was not indentured servitude (slavery). I know it hurts but she did nothing wrong. Get over it, suck it up.......
To each their own.
GSB

by OCTravelCoach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Back to the OP players cannot be stolen, they leave for a reason. You may not like the reason, you may be the reason, doesn't matter. Looking for retribution will benefit no one. Bottom line, do you want to force a player to be on your team when she has no desire to do so? Do you want to try and strong arm or threaten her so she stays with you? Do you think she will be a valuable asset to your team if you were somehow able to keep her? Move on, wish her well, and find a replacement.

I'm not upset at the parents. It the 'other' coach calling a player's parents he knows is already on a team and recruiting her away with whatever sales pitch he made. That's sleazy and underhanded and that coach knows it. I've already cut the cord with the player, we'll move on.
OCTravelCoach

by OCTravelCoach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 pm

GSB wrote:I think everyone missed the point. The contracts are not out until February. This is the time to be looking and switching teams if you want to. No need to be angry, she is following the rules and acting within ethical standards. The fact that you picked up her prior costs was great. You did a wonderful thing for another person. The act paying her way was for her performance while she was on your team. It was not indentured servitude (slavery). I know it hurts but she did nothing wrong. Get over it, suck it up.......

Something you're missing here. I made a financial commitment to her for the season. I didn't say with 3 weeks to go, "hey, I'm not paying any more."

So, isn't it fair/expected for her to honor her commitment to this team? In my book the answer is 'yes.' If she wants to move on after that, no problem. They can't have it both ways and what are they teaching their DD.
OCTravelCoach

by samsoe7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:49 pm

i dont know how something so simple could be miscontrued so badly..the fillys never tried to recruit my child from another team ..what turned out to be a mutual friend told each of us about the other and after inquiring about the team with other acquaintances we decided it would be in my daughters best interest to be on a team that offered individual catchers training{something not offered) along with the other skills necessary to make her a stronger player. it may turn out the fillys dont want her but we still want that necessary training as she so desires to be a catcher.. as i didnt sign a contract i felt my options were open if it turned out this team didnt provide that or even adequate catching time. i am grateful for the oppurtunities my daughter was given and i am not looking for trophies but a higher level of playing
OCTravelCoach wrote:
Comets16 wrote:My opinion..Any coach that hasn't done it, most likely doesn't have a very good team..The flip question is why was the pasture greener? Playing time, Friends, exposure, pitching time, personality conflicts? There is always a reason....

Some of us operate at a different standard -- ethics and scruples (not a slam at you) -- and if that means having lesser talent, so be it. Integrity over trophies. As to why the pasture is greener, ask the parents.
samsoe7

by Iluvblue » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 am

If you are the parent of a player you need to do what you feel is best for your daughter.

If you are a coach and a player wants to leave, why would you possibly want them to stay?
Also, I bet we have NEVER. EVER had a coach/parent/manager of a team come on here and complain about losing the 11th or 12th player (depth wise) on their roster. It is only their ss/p/catcher that gets them so upset.

Coach the kids that want to be there and move on. Life is too short and this game can still be enjoyed immensely by coaching those kids that are dedicated to your team. Trust me, you will be better off just letting people go that want to go.

Not like you have given them a 1 million dollar contract and now they are backing out.
Iluvblue

by All 4 One » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 pm

It's all part of softball.

Not that it's right, it just is what it is.

Here's my advice to you; don't get mad, get even.

There's nothing like beating a team that cherry picked your team.
All 4 One

PreviousNext

Return to CA