Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Softball in San Diego

by RubyRob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I am the parent of one of the Academy players. I wish I had known about this site earlier. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First of all, the Academy is a non-profit organization. It was originally owned by Monica Mace just for lessons and Nicki Starry joined the business in July 2008 order to develop the travel team side. In December 2008 Nicki Starry purchased the travel teams from Monica and changed the status of the Academy to non-profit. So in that respect the Academy that Nicki is president of has only existed for two months. This is likely why you had seen ads for coaches and players - they are a young organization and had to get started in the beginning like anybody else. Currently the coaching staff is full but as with many teams in terms of players they are still building their foundation. Also, in terms of fees, they are not that different from other clubs and the quality of instruction is definitely worth the extra money.

As someone else mentioned, you can't make everyone happy all of the time, and there isn't a club out there that is perfect. Sure there are some things that are still being worked out, but overall for such a new organization I think they are doing a great job. It's a shame to read through some of these posts...there's a whole lot of guessing the worst without really taking the time to find out what is true. But hey, the Academy must be doing something right if it's on people's minds enough to create four pages worth of posts here. :)
RubyRob

by bunt-n-run » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:40 pm

RubyRob wrote:I am the parent of one of the Academy players. I wish I had known about this site earlier. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First of all, the Academy is a non-profit organization. It was originally owned by Monica Mace just for lessons and Nicki Starry joined the business in July 2008 order to develop the travel team side. In December 2008 Nicki Starry purchased the travel teams from Monica and changed the status of the Academy to non-profit. So in that respect the Academy that Nicki is president of has only existed for two months. This is likely why you had seen ads for coaches and players - they are a young organization and had to get started in the beginning like anybody else. Currently the coaching staff is full but as with many teams in terms of players they are still building their foundation. Also, in terms of fees, they are not that different from other clubs and the quality of instruction is definitely worth the extra money.

As someone else mentioned, you can't make everyone happy all of the time, and there isn't a club out there that is perfect. Sure there are some things that are still being worked out, but overall for such a new organization I think they are doing a great job. It's a shame to read through some of these posts...there's a whole lot of guessing the worst without really taking the time to find out what is true. But hey, the Academy must be doing something right if it's on people's minds enough to create four pages worth of posts here. :)

UH....how many pages does it take before you would say the Academy might be doing something wrong? Hats off to you for being the first to step up for the team though :)
bunt-n-run

by artomatic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 pm

RubyRob wrote:Also, in terms of fees, they are not that different from other clubs and the quality of instruction is definitely worth the extra money

RubyRob wrote:Sure there are some things that are still being worked out, but overall for such a new organization I think they are doing a great job.

Really? I think that's what some said about Marshall Applewhite's little club. :o
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bn2themountain » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:48 pm

RubyRob wrote:I am the parent of one of the Academy players. I wish I had known about this site earlier. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Hey RudyRob, does Academy have enough players for their 12U team ? I heard there were quite a few going back to Rec.
bn2themountain

by ice_67 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Rumor has it that Nikki Starry is pulling out of the Academy. Any thruth to it?
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by pitchersmom96 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Rumor has it that Nikki Starry is pulling out of the Academy
. Any thruth to it?

Oh no what will happen to softball in San Diego if that happens?? :D
pitchersmom96

by Play ball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm

I've been involved with a local San Diego rec league for many years and wanted to address this thread from a different point of view.

This is just my opinion but here ya go...

Every year we lose players to the TB level and, even though some of my other rec ballers may not agree, some of these players are better off. They simply reach a level at which our rec world can no longer meet their needs. My gripe with organizations such as the Academy is the fact that they are now taking players that are average level players...or less. Some of these do come from those problem parent families, that were ticked off 'cause they didn't get the star role on the all-star team....and we don't miss them. :D I'm mainly talking about those players that don't yet have the talent to make to more established San Diego TB teams...the type of players that really MAKE the rec level enjoyable and functionable. Those same players help in the instruction and developement of the other players around them.
I'm very familiar with the Academy and would like to ask it's supporters: How many players do you have that are past rec players that were on the local "Silver" All-star teams? How many players do you have that tried out but were unable to make a rec All-star team period? The answer to both of the questions is..."several if not most."
There are several well established, and well run, TB organizations in our area...which is where we see most of our truly advanced players end up. I would be in the majority by saying these same organizations are far superior in talent, have far more experienced coaches, have much cheaper fees, play in much better tournaments and have proven track records in the future scholarship aspect of the game. These same organizations end up with the talented players, and if you are a problem parent...you are gone! On the other hand, if you are a problem parent on the Academy, your money talks and everyone suffers for it. If you are a good player, an average player or a below average player...you pay and stay regardless of your talent.
My final question to the Academy: During your last tryouts in January was there a single player cut or turned away? answer.....NOPE! Now...how about ANY of the tryouts you've had? Never passed on a single player have ya? SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!

Sorry, I know it's more than .02 worth...but keep the change. Thanks to the rest of you for bringing this out in the open.

GREAT SITE!
Play ball

by hotwheels » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Play ball wrote:I've been involved with a local San Diego rec league for many years and wanted to address this thread from a different point of view.

This is just my opinion but here ya go...

Every year we lose players to the TB level and, even though some of my other rec ballers may not agree, some of these players are better off. They simply reach a level at which our rec world can no longer meet their needs. My gripe with organizations such as the Academy is the fact that they are now taking players that are average level players...or less. Some of these do come from those problem parent families, that were ticked off 'cause they didn't get the star role on the all-star team....and we don't miss them. :D I'm mainly talking about those players that don't yet have the talent to make to more established San Diego TB teams...the type of players that really MAKE the rec level enjoyable and functionable. Those same players help in the instruction and developement of the other players around them.
I'm very familiar with the Academy and would like to ask it's supporters: How many players do you have that are past rec players that were on the local "Silver" All-star teams? How many players do you have that tried out but were unable to make a rec All-star team period? The answer to both of the questions is..."several if not most."
There are several well established, and well run, TB organizations in our area...which is where we see most of our truly advanced players end up. I would be in the majority by saying these same organizations are far superior in talent, have far more experienced coaches, have much cheaper fees, play in much better tournaments and have proven track records in the future scholarship aspect of the game. These same organizations end up with the talented players, and if you are a problem parent...you are gone! On the other hand, if you are a problem parent on the Academy, your money talks and everyone suffers for it. If you are a good player, an average player or a below average player...you pay and stay regardless of your talent.
My final question to the Academy: During your last tryouts in January was there a single player cut or turned away? answer.....NOPE! Now...how about ANY of the tryouts you've had? Never passed on a single player have ya? SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!

Sorry, I know it's more than .02 worth...but keep the change. Thanks to the rest of you for bringing this out in the open.

GREAT SITE!

I will say that this post sure rings familiar.....I am not from the San Diego but I will say this. The "Rec. Parent" was not forced to join "Travel", they did it by their own choice. I agree that maybe the way things went down might not be RIGHT, it still is what it is.....Those are valuable words to remember in Travel....It is what it is.....Words to live by....

If you focus on things too long instead of just accepting them and move on, you will make yourself sick......Take it as good advice......

It is the Academy's problem if they are taking players that may not be ready for travel or even rec all stars but the fact of the matter is....Over time other players will see this and simply not show up at tryouts......Nobody wants to play for a team that just isn't good and won't get better....It just doesn't happen that often in travel.....

You sound like a lot of rec people I know that have a certain view of travel although I will say yours doesn't seem that negative.......You seem to recognize that better players should be in travel......I wouldn't worry about the issue of them taking players from rec that aren't good enough.....It will catch up to them!
hotwheels

by pitchersmom96 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Amen to Playball and Hotwheels post! ;)
pitchersmom96

by bugs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Great post by Play Ball. I think Hot Wheels misses the point a little in that you are not in the area. I am guessing Play Ball is from the Rec League that just got devastated by the Academy. The Academy took many players from one Rec League, not sure how but I am guessing that both groups are from the same area. As Play Ball said, the Academy took players that normally would have stayed and made for a great Rec League.

Certainly as Hotwheels say, it the parents choice. But maybe if the Academy had seen or been more aware that some of these players did need a little more seasoning and left them in Rec Ball both the Academy and the Rec League could have have functioned together and worked together rather than creating a rift.
bugs

PreviousNext

Return to CA