Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Teams testing positive for COVID-19

by newbie101 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 am

So I have been hearing rumors that, teams that traveled to AZ to play are now testing positive, & teams that have played in friendlies in the AV area are testing positive as well. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or is it just rumors?
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am

Wow i hope everyone is doing good and no one needs to be in hospital
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveball496 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:02 am

Oddly, the softball field is not the only area of concern. Its also the cars, restaurants, hotels, and bathrooms. Close in stuff for prolonged times. In NorCal (yes where the overall rates are relatively low w/respect to AZ - not sure what AV is) several girls and parental units have tested positive w/many more exposed. Kudos to the guys attempting to get the girls back to the diamond. Please try again, w/more stringency. Until peeps can strictly adhere to guidelines this will collapse inward. A microcosm perhaps.
curveball496

by Ironvision1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am

Sadly Parents are not being responsible and keeping their tested player at home until being informed of results and now 18 kids and their families have been exposed. Also the lack of screenings by each organization is unacceptable and if coaches are going to be having the players get back it they need to start implementing precautions. Shit isn’t real until it affects someone you know and love.
Ironvision1
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 am

Ironvision1 wrote:Sadly Parents are not being responsible and keeping their tested player at home until being informed of results and now 18 kids and their families have been exposed. Also the lack of screenings by each organization is unacceptable and if coaches are going to be having the players get back it they need to start implementing precautions. Shit isn’t real until it affects someone you know and love.

like the kids say thats one-hunid
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I think it IS possible to have our girls play organized tournaments this fall. By its inherent nature, the game of softball has plenty of social distancing baked into the cake. The defensive players are all a good 30 or more feet away from each other, so they don't even need to wear masks while out on the field. I don't believe the catcher or batters do either. The homeplate umpire, probably yes. The base coaches can wear masks, if they feel it's imperative to get all up in their player's grill. Otherwise it's unnecessary. Female athletes 14 and older are mature enough to manage themselves and social distance. I think they would all do the right thing and wear masks and social distance within reason on the bench.

The one major change that would have to happen is the parents would have to sit out the tournaments. Meaning stay in the car, go shopping or stay home. You can't have a bunch of rabid travel ball parents roaming around all over the place acting like they are impervious to the virus, and who don't give a hoot about everyone else around them. This might be a hard sell, because a lot of TB parents do this for themselves, more than they are doing it for their daughters. If they can't watch their little princess play, they probably won't be inclined to pay the fees and costs associated with travel ball. If we could get past that hurdle, our girls could probably be back on the field by late September.
TheTownUSA

by TheTownUSA » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 am

Spazsdad wrote:
TheTownUSA wrote:. Female athletes 14 and older are mature enough to manage themselves and social distance. I think they would all do the right thing and wear masks and social distance within reason on the bench. .

Have you been to any games during this? The players most certainly do not social distance or wear masks unless repeatedly hounded to do so.

Well, I did put a qualifier in there. Have you been to any friendlies this past summer where parents weren't roaming around like maskless monkeys, as if they didn't have a care in the world? The example is set by the coaches and parents. If the coach has a lackadaisical attitude and believes this virus is a "Democrat hoax", as many in this forum do, then the players will probably follow their lead. In this case, you wouldn't want to invite that team to one of these fall tournaments. They can stay home.

There are plenty of teams where the players DO respect their coaches, and those coaches respect the science. Did you happen to notice of the 144 teams that trekked to Utah last month for the USA Preps "showcase", a good 60% were from Southern CA? Conversely, only 2 or 3 came from Northern CA. Coaches that actually cared about their players stayed home, because there was literally no upside for being there. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that math. At that point, everyone with at least half of a functioning brain understood there would be no PGF National Championship this year, so why? You can't claim it was a tune up.

I stand by my original post. If we are to ramp up to play fall tournament softball, it's imperative we exclude the bad actors, those who refuse to follow simple precautionary instructions, from the equation. Deep down inside, they know who they are. If they can't behave, they are a detriment to the game and their daughter's lives.
TheTownUSA

by brown bomber » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 am

I haven’t been to games but have seen photos and videos and would agree, social distancing is pretty much non-existent, at least from what I’ve seen. So what is the answer to getting girls back on the field, other than blaming the politicians?
I know TCS set up a scenario at a field & I believe invited state & local officials to show how it could be done; fans along the outfield, a few girls in the dugout & the rest separated while sitting in the stands, no high fives and wearing masks. I’m sure other things I’m missing. Would this work?
brown bomber

by eclipse09 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:36 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
TheTownUSA wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
TheTownUSA wrote:. Female athletes 14 and older are mature enough to manage themselves and social distance. I think they would all do the right thing and wear masks and social distance within reason on the bench. .

Have you been to any games during this? The players most certainly do not social distance or wear masks unless repeatedly hounded to do so.

Well, I did put a qualifier in there. Have you been to any friendlies this past summer where parents weren't roaming around like maskless monkeys, as if they didn't have a care in the world? The example is set by the coaches and parents. If the coach has a lackadaisical attitude and believes this virus is a "Democrat hoax", as many in this forum do, then the players will probably follow their lead. In this case, you wouldn't want to invite that team to one of these fall tournaments. They can stay home.

There are plenty of teams where the players DO respect their coaches, and those coaches respect the science. Did you happen to notice of the 144 teams that trekked to Utah last month for the USA Preps "showcase", a good 60% were from Southern CA? Conversely, only 2 or 3 came from Northern CA. Coaches that actually cared about their players stayed home, because there was literally no upside for being there. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that math. At that point, everyone with at least half of a functioning brain understood there would be no PGF National Championship this year, so why? You can't claim it was a tune up.

I stand by my original post. If we are to ramp up to play fall tournament softball, it's imperative we exclude the bad actors, those who refuse to follow simple precautionary instructions, from the equation. Deep down inside, they know who they are. If they can't behave, they are a detriment to the game and their daughter's lives.

Thanks for the condescending lecture Karen. I was just responding as to my observations. Wasn’t trying to pass any judgment.
As to your point of the showcases having “no upside” have you never heard of video streaming. Recruiting hasn’t stopped, it’s just using a new medium. Coaches are watching the games. Giving feedback, asking about players.
Silly me though. I didn’t pay attention to who I was responding to

Agree with your observation Spaz that it is good to know how games have been handled to figure out what works and what doesn't. It would be nice to get feedback from somewhere other than No Cal or So Cal since games have been played in other states off and on since this started.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:31 pm

brown bomber wrote:I haven’t been to games but have seen photos and videos and would agree, social distancing is pretty much non-existent, at least from what I’ve seen. So what is the answer to getting girls back on the field, other than blaming the politicians?
I know TCS set up a scenario at a field & I believe invited state & local officials to show how it could be done; fans along the outfield, a few girls in the dugout & the rest separated while sitting in the stands, no high fives and wearing masks. I’m sure other things I’m missing. Would this work?

At the risk of being called condescending, I've pretty much laid out how if has to be. Some of you don't know your daughters as well as you think you do. They all have secret lives that they don't share with you, just like you did with your parents when you were their age. Maybe there are a few incorrigible assholes out there, but for the most part, girls between the ages of 12 and 18 will listen to an authority figure they respect and trust, and unfortunately dad, that might not include you.

It doesn't matter the sport, be it volleyball, football, soccer, or softball, there is a certain "je ne sais quoi" with travel ball parents that sets them a part from normal people. More specifically, the ones that expect their daughters to get full ride offers from multiple D1 schools. These folks are in a league all by themselves. My point being, if you remove travel ball parents from the equation, and you have a competent coach running the team, one that is not a self-absorbed A-hole, I'm about 85% certain that softball tournaments could be pulled off with relative safety.

Base coaches would have to stay in the box or be ejected from the game. No around-the-horn with every out, no visits to the mound or deliberate stalling to run out the clock, and other common sense stuff like that would have to apply. If the coach catches even a whiff of one of his players deliberately violating the mask or social distancing rules, he sends her to the bleachers for the rest of that game. There has to be a penalty that stings for non-conformity.

These may not be conditions that are acceptable for some coaches, but I know my daughter's coach could pull it off, because he commands the respect of every family and player on his team. Children emulate what they see, not what you tell them. This CAN be done, but the will has to start with the parents and more importantly the coaches.
TheTownUSA

Next

Return to CA