Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Baserunning times in softball

by miguelpana1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:36 am

watchtonsofsoftball wrote:again how there timed is always up for debate. A 2.39 will get you a D1 scholarship if nothing else as a pinch runner :D
The fastest I have seen is 2.58, I cant imagine faster and she is going to a big time D1 school. My times should hold up through 18s. If you are running under a 2.79 ( usually taken on first movement to first or first step after swing depending on who is clocking it) you are blazing fast. Most kids lose time Home to Home due to not cutting the bases correctly etc, especially at younger ages . My did runs a 2.8ish consistantly but a 12.3-12.5 Home to Home. I personally think she sucks at cutting the bases but whatever. I'd like to see her 11.9-12.1.

I Love this Post I have coached over 20 years I am glad you don't sugar coat it.
I actually do the same with my DD you have to be honest and challenge them.

" I personally think she sucks at cutting the bases but whatever" :lol: :lol: :lol:
miguelpana1
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:38 am

There have been a couple of threads on this.

I think pretty much the only use for these numbers is comparing kids at the same tryout with the same person doing the timing.

I remember my older DD's H to 1st numbers going down and down to a point where she would have lapped Caitlin Lowe ... twice. It was just silly. Granted she has pretty much always been the fastest on every team she played on and is now probably tied for fastest or a close 2nd in college.

Then somebody posted a link to an analyisis of Bolt's world record run in 10 meter increments and Spazsdad is right, many of these 14 & 16 profile numbers would be faster than Bolt could run his 1st 20 meters. Then it got really entertaining about how they WOULD be faster because they were moving and smaller so they accelerated faster and ...

I just have a hard time believing that ANY softball player, even with that step, will outrun the world record holder starting out of blocks, in spikes on a track designed to optimize his acceleration.

Anyway, I get a kick out of this discussion every time it comes up.

I just go with OBP.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hotwheels » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 am

CheckWriter wrote:There have been a couple of threads on this.

I think pretty much the only use for these numbers is comparing kids at the same tryout with the same person doing the timing.

I remember my older DD's H to 1st numbers going down and down to a point where she would have lapped Caitlin Lowe ... twice. It was just silly. Granted she has pretty much always been the fastest on every team she played on and is now probably tied for fastest or a close 2nd in college.

Then somebody posted a link to an analyisis of Bolt's world record run in 10 meter increments and Spazsdad is right, many of these 14 & 16 profile numbers would be faster than Bolt could run his 1st 20 meters. Then it got really entertaining about how they WOULD be faster because they were moving and smaller so they accelerated faster and ...

I just have a hard time believing that ANY softball player, even with that step, will outrun the world record holder starting out of blocks, in spikes on a track designed to optimize his acceleration.

Anyway, I get a kick out of this discussion every time it comes up.

I just go with OBP.

You can't steal 1st base! Your last sentence is perfect!
hotwheels

by Ks softball fan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:32 pm

http://speedendurance.com/2008/08/22/us ... endurance/

I had a hard time buying the Bolt comment - went and looked it up and his 20M time would be around 3 (slightly over according to the link above). Now I am confused. I time my 14 U DD from ball contact to 1st base with her fastest being 2.73. Obviously that is something less than 60 ft and 20M is 65 ft - but still - hard to imagine our little girls are as quick as Bolt.

I am now less worried about speed and back to thinking about OBP.

Thanks for depressing me...
Ks softball fan

by hit4power » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:07 am

One thing to consider in this debate is the difference in timing mechanics between track and what is usually done in a softball tryout. In track, the gun goes off, the clock starts, and then the athlete reacts to the sound and starts to run. A world class athlete like Bolt probably takes .05-06 seconds from when he hears the gun to when his legs drive off the blocks. In a softball tryout, the timer reacts to the sound of the bat hitting the ball and then starts the clock. Since none of us are world class athletes, it probably takes closer to 0.1 seconds to react and start the watch. Those two differences are additive so the timing difference between Bolt and somebody's DD is 0.15sec or more just based on the difference in timing mechanics. If we timed kids like they do in track (yell GO, start the watch, and let them react and run) you'd see times slow down a lot.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 4th & Forever » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:55 pm

We had EM Strength Training out of Ontario come out and do electronic timing for our tryouts. So there was no delay, no stop watch reaction or first step vs. first movement. Had one girl come out with a 3.0 home to first but a staggering 11.02 home to home :o Now that girl new how to cut the bases.....Yes she made the cut 8-)
4th & Forever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 pm

4th & Forever wrote:do electronic timing for our tryouts

How does that work? What starts the clock?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by 4th & Forever » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Battle wrote:
4th & Forever wrote:do electronic timing for our tryouts

How does that work? What starts the clock?

There was two laser sensors at home and two placed at first ....Didn't get into what started what...It was supposed to be as close to Olympic style timing without starter blocks. I will get that answer though and post back. :D
4th & Forever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:13 pm

hit4power wrote:One thing to consider in this debate is the difference in timing mechanics between track and what is usually done in a softball tryout. In track, the gun goes off, the clock starts, and then the athlete reacts to the sound and starts to run. A world class athlete like Bolt probably takes .05-06 seconds from when he hears the gun to when his legs drive off the blocks. In a softball tryout, the timer reacts to the sound of the bat hitting the ball and then starts the clock. Since none of us are world class athletes, it probably takes closer to 0.1 seconds to react and start the watch. Those two differences are additive so the timing difference between Bolt and somebody's DD is 0.15sec or more just based on the difference in timing mechanics. If we timed kids like they do in track (yell GO, start the watch, and let them react and run) you'd see times slow down a lot.

In addition, there is an error of about .25 with hand timing. Results from hand timed track meets in high school are thrown out and do not qualify you for CIF. We're talking about races of 100 and 200 METERS! So hand timing a 60 ft sprint borders on the useless.

For the 20 yard sprint in SPARQ testing, the electronic timer is started by the first movement of the athlete. Don't think I've seen anyone break 2.9.....That includes Jamia Reid of Cal who held the SPARQ record at the time she graduated high school.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by svalcat05 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:30 pm

So at tryouts my 15 yr went for the first 18u then 16u.
I just timed 4 or 5 girls then mine and you can get a good idea of what the times should be based on conditions, girls and their age. It won't be exact time coach but it's dang close and it's for your knowledge based off what is actually in your field I. E. Type of Team, skill level, age
Nerves will get in the way sometimes too.
svalcat05

PreviousNext

Return to CA