Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Norcal top ten list!! Let's hear it!

by Goldball4 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

All this chatter about Norcal teams, let's hear a top ten list! Here's my top ten to start.

1. Sting - Pitching is key, and they have it. Good pickups(players, coaches!), and hear a few more pickups coming.

2. Magic - They could easily be switch with 1, but need to see them against the best! Very good talent though.

3. Sorcerers Phil - Have the field players, but need that stopper on the hill. If they get at least one, look out.

4. Grapes - Very good team, but in the same boat as sorc. need pitching bad, but field players are solid.

5. Sharks - Didn't make any really great pickups from fall. If they don't bring back college kids, they will not compete at this elite level.

6. The rest of the teams all have decent field players, but pitching is not good enough to compete with the top four.

Sorcerers Pete
RR Gold
Breeze
Heat
Comets

Anybody have any other teams that could be a sleeper , let us know. Let's hear everyone else's list now.
Goldball4

by DBLUE » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:53 pm

I think this is a pretty good list. But I would definitely add AASA in the mix there somewhere. I would have to say that pitching is down right now. Top 5 are studs, and the rest belong where they belong due to the pitching problems.

1. Sting
2. Magic
3. Sorcerers
4. Grapettes
5. AASA
6. Sharks
7. RR Gold
8. Sorcerers 2
9. Sharks piper
10. Breeze

Looking forward to a fun season. We'll see who is who a little in Modesto Jan. 4!
DBLUE

by Demonboy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:40 am

Magic
Sting
Grapettes

Everyone else is pool play fodder.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by NorCal LVer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Demonboy wrote:Magic
Sting
Grapettes

Agree..

Would add Strike Zone into the upper mix.. DF will have them there as always!

Drop #8, or #10 ????
NorCal LVer

by wadeintothem » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:37 pm

NorCal LVer wrote:
Demonboy wrote:Magic
Sting
Grapettes

Agree..

Would add Strike Zone into the upper mix.. DF will have them there as always!

Drop #8, or #10 ????

Well definitely several in a row until last year; he didnt make it. We'll see if he comes through this year. DF is a coach I respect and I enjoy working his games :) He keeps it fun.

It will be interesting to see if Magic lives up to the hype though.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Old Darter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:51 pm

wadeintothem wrote:It will be interesting to see if Magic lives up to the hype though.

You mean other than winning 16u Nationals and having 9 of their 13 players already committed to D1 schools? I dare say this team won't be playing to showcase, they'll be playing to win.
Old Darter

by wadeintothem » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 pm

Old Darter wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:It will be interesting to see if Magic lives up to the hype though.

You mean other than winning 16u Nationals and having 9 of their 13 players already committed to D1 schools? I dare say this team won't be playing to showcase, they'll be playing to win.

16U nats is history. That and 2.75 will get you a poorly cooked hot dog now. Welcome to 18G.

Typically at the top levels of 18G, almost everyone on the rosters will be "spoken for"; then there are many of those already with 1 year D1 NCAA freshman experience. Many more will have already been on the big trip to OKC before. So a young 9 of 13 D1 commitments, with no freshman, and no OKC experience, is not a bench mark. I would say that is a minimum standard for the top level and just shows that Lady Magic (a team I've called at least 6 times, I believe last time I called them in fall ball, they had just gotten their championship vests or jackets?) definitely has a real level of talent. Now, top 1 or 3? Setting a bar like that means to me we have to see if they live up to the hype being set here on heybucket.

Hell, maybe they do! 18G is open. So Cal does not dominate at 18G. Go for it!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DHBHitting » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 am

One of the best posts I've read in a long time wadeintothem, very well said. If I hear about what a team did the previous year in a division that is not 18G(Summer Ball) one more time I will puke.

This is not to say that the Magic will not do well, they have a good chance, but it is certainly not a for gone conclusion. Again FALL MEANS NOTHING, top level teams will transform come June, if you think that they will throw the same 14/15 year old line ups they had out there in fall on the field in June then you obviously have no clue what Gold is about.

Hell the Batbusters, Angels, Firecrackers, Choppers, Athletics, Cruisers, Diamonds, Explosion, Sorcerer, Sharks, Grapes, Sting will all be playing to win come June not just the Magic. And like wadeintothem said they will all be loaded with kids that are seasoned, experienced, and just as talented as anybody the Magic can throw out there.

Just wait until these top clubs throw their all PAC 10 freshman teams out there, these kids fresh off playing 70 games agaisnt the best the country has to offer in our sport, or Marty brings back half the SEC/Big 12, with Sting and Sorcerer doing the same, believe me it is a totally different ball game...

This is not to say they will not compete or do well, but like wadeintothem said, lets see how they do...I certainly along with everyone else will be watching..Good luck Magic! Go get em!
DHBHitting

by Old Darter » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Actually, there are a few on that team that DO have OKC experience, Wade. And with two exceptions, this team could play 16u again this summer. So while this will definitely be a summer to test and tune for Magic, this team could stay intact for several years to come. Even the two who can't play 16's (and who went to Gold Nat's as 15 yo's) are by age only first year golds. And there are former Magic players who will have a year of D1 under their belt who may be back in the summer, who knows?
Old Darter

by DHBHitting » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Yeah I forgot about that Old Darter, Jolene, Lindsey, and Morgan went to OKC with Ford and the Strike Zone the year before last didnt they, but from what I remember that did not go to well though. But they did no doubt get the experience of being there and playing, true enough.

And if you guys can bring back Alexa Riveria from the University of Pacific that will definetly help things out a bit, she was on that sqaud that summer.

My only worry is that the squad even with the possible additions is still just too young this year, I mean from your own account this squad will have several more years at Gold so this year may in fact be a growing period for them.

But hey you never know, good luck to ya, and give em hell!
DHBHitting

Next

Return to CA