Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Stealing Players -- Any options?

by OCTravelCoach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 am

I was notified today by one of my parents that they were contacted by the Norco Fillys 18U Gold coach and offered a spot on that team.

As a result of the call, they are leaving my team and I'm losing one of my best players.

Aren't there rules against travelball coaches actively recruiting players way from other teams during the season?

This is very disappointing because I sponsored this player paying all her expenses/dues after the family had posted a plea for help on eTeamz. So much for loyalty.

Are there any formal actions I can take against the Fillys' coach to stop him from doing this to other teams?
OCTravelCoach

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

That is so funny that you are asking if there are any actions that can be taken. I'm sure Sam understands.

Anyway, there is not a problem for this to happen right now as there are no signed contracts and during this time, any coach can call any player and ask them to come and play for them. Once the contract is signed (and processed through ASA), they are not SUPPOSED to let the practice happen, but I'm sure we all know it still happens.

As far as loyalty, I can understand how it feels to put so much into a player and then when the better offer comes a long, bam, see ya'!!! Another thing to think about, maybe the coach didn't call the player. Maybe the player approached them and the parents are just stating the facts a little differently.
Sftbll4ever

by OCTravelCoach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:That is so funny that you are asking if there are any actions that can be taken. I'm sure Sam understands.

Anyway, there is not a problem for this to happen right now as there are no signed contracts and during this time, any coach can call any player and ask them to come and play for them. Once the contract is signed (and processed through ASA), they are not SUPPOSED to let the practice happen, but I'm sure we all know it still happens.

As far as loyalty, I can understand how it feels to put so much into a player and then when the better offer comes a long, bam, see ya'!!! Another thing to think about, maybe the coach didn't call the player. Maybe the player approached them and the parents are just stating the facts a little differently.

It started with the Norco HS coach who referred my player to Norco Fillys and then they called the parents was the way the parent email to me explained. I have no problem with parents talking to other team coaches, if they want greener grass so be it. But this is the other way around. What happened to ethics? Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right
OCTravelCoach

by Comets16 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm

My opinion..Any coach that hasn't done it, most likely doesn't have a very good team..The flip question is why was the pasture greener? Playing time, Friends, exposure, pitching time, personality conflicts? There is always a reason....
Comets16

by OCTravelCoach » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Comets16 wrote:My opinion..Any coach that hasn't done it, most likely doesn't have a very good team..The flip question is why was the pasture greener? Playing time, Friends, exposure, pitching time, personality conflicts? There is always a reason....

Some of us operate at a different standard -- ethics and scruples (not a slam at you) -- and if that means having lesser talent, so be it. Integrity over trophies. As to why the pasture is greener, ask the parents.
OCTravelCoach

by Joe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:03 pm

OCTravelCoach wrote:
Comets16 wrote:My opinion..Any coach that hasn't done it, most likely doesn't have a very good team..The flip question is why was the pasture greener? Playing time, Friends, exposure, pitching time, personality conflicts? There is always a reason....

Some of us operate at a different standard -- ethics and scruples (not a slam at you) -- and if that means having lesser talent, so be it. Integrity over trophies. As to why the pasture is greener, ask the parents.

Right On! AND, there's nothing wrong with growing your own...

...talent, that is.
Joe

by DDG » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Happens “all the time”. We lost 2 just before the holiday break. Almost crippled us. The other team just lost a key player and was desperate (coach’s terms when I talked to him).

While they are under contract, you can refuse to release the player, making it impossible for her to play in any ASA events. That just hurts the kid.

Now, before contracts are signed, it’s no big deal. At Nationals, I saw coaches handing out cards to other players all the time, along with promises of playing time and star treatment.

Anything to make your team better (and pump up your ego).
DDG

by Coach11 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 pm

<< Some of us operate at a different standard -- ethics and scruples (not a slam at you) -- and if that means having lesser talent, so be it. Integrity over trophies. As to why the pasture is greener, ask the parents.>>

Couldn't agree more.

For some parents, there will ALWAYS be a team out there better than the one their daughter is on. And that would include Team USA should their little precious be so lucky.
Coach11

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:41 pm

OCTravelCoach wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:That is so funny that you are asking if there are any actions that can be taken. I'm sure Sam understands.

It started with the Norco HS coach who referred my player to Norco Fillys and then they called the parents was the way the parent email to me explained. I have no problem with parents talking to other team coaches, if they want greener grass so be it. But this is the other way around. What happened to ethics? Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right

You know what, they do respect you to an extent, they told you the truth. Sorry, it happened to you. Sometimes the HS coaches make it worse.
Sftbll4ever

by Joe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
While they are under contract, you can refuse to release the player, making it impossible for her to play in any ASA events

SoCal ASA has no spine and their player contracts are worthless. Why they even have them is beyond me. They mean nothing other than assigning a dollar value to team uniforms and equipment. Even that is outdated as the dollar a mount would not cover a couple sets of high end uniforms.
Bottom line if a player under contract leaves there is nothing you can do about it. There is nothing that ASA will do to support you.

And thank God for weak ASA contracts. DD plays volleyball under the USA Volleyball umbrella...what a $$$ scheme. Clubs bring in mucho dinero, paid coaches are a crap shot, if you leave...you sit out the entire year...no movement to another team for any reason, legit or not.
Joe

Next

Return to CA