Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

10u Parents

by slapperdad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:Slapperdad, I don't know your daughter, but am sure she came with some hype. Didn't you coach her in High school, I wonder why? Kids that are equal, or very close, hype is the difference. Good coaches have to decimate information given to them by travel and high school coaches, as well as parents. Some kids are a lot better than their hype, these are the true catches for the best coaches. Those kids that have great potential, but are unsung and ignored. Take an honest look at many division 1 players, and compare them to truly outstanding division 3 players, then wonder why those choices were made.

I seriously don't understand what you're trying to say. With regards to my DD, did I nominate her for stuff, yes. But ultimately my peers in the coaching fraternity in Indiana made the decisions. The ONLY participation I had in the recruiting process was as a parent, all the stats, all the "can she play" stuff was handled thru her travel coach. Yea, I thought she could play a little bit, but I'm not the guy to quote stats, or tell you how good my kid is. Because sooner or later, she's going to have to live up to your hype. In college she went thru almost two years with no SID. An abysmal web presence, etc. She broke her own single season hit record, lead the nation in hits (NAIA) as a junior and there was never a write up on the school's athletic website. NFCA First Team All American, nothing on the website. I don't tell you these things to brag on my kid, I'm making the point, there was NO HYPE. Meanwhile when I look around at other websites, if you go 6 for 9 on the day there's a big write up.

As far as comparing D1 masses to stud D3 players, there's a myriad of reasons why those choices happen. In my DD's case, there were multiple D1 offers, in the end, she wanted to experience college, and didn't want Softball to be a job. She opted for NAIA, had a great experience, got a good education, that ultimately lead to a pretty good living. Pro softball was never the goal, it was a means to an end. It paid for the bulk of her education and I think in return the university got a lot of bang for their buck as well.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Hinky » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm

marketing, advertising, shopping networks, the news, & sports ect... all filled with hype.
Player performance, now that's the real deal!

definitely can understand your daughters choice. there is a difference between D1 & D3
schedules. There are athletes who were offered D1 scholarships and chose to go to D2 and D3 schools because they offer a schedule that's better for academics versus being flooded with an intense D1 softball schedule.
Imo people have to know what their individual goals are and make the best decision to fit those goals. no one-size-fits-all.
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Good articles, but off subject. Yes her coaches made recommendations, but I'm sure they were careful considering your personality. This isn't bad, it's what thoughtful parent do, advocate for their child. Advocating for a player is tricky, they need someone to speak positively for them, enter headhunters, but not being pushy or expanding the truth. Yes, there are many reason a player chooses NAIA schools over D1's, but that is not what I was talking about. There are players who really wanted to play D1 ball, and were clearly good enough, but instead took positions less than what they wanted. A lot of decisions were made simple because they didn't get on the right travel team, had the wrong high school coach, or parents that didn't understand the recruiting process. If this isn't advertising choose your own synonym, but it all means the same thing.
Hinky- You are the biggest me-to-it, I've ever read. Do you have any original ideas?You ought to run for Speaker of the House.
C77fastpitch

by slapperdad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Just out of curiosity what exactly is my personality? I’ve dealt with many college coaches thru different kids’ recruiting processes. I think I have a pretty good relationship with most of them. them. Some of them still contact me wanting me to look at a kid or ask my opinion. I will admit to not parting ways with a couple of them on amicable terms. I don’t like to burn bridges, I prefer to blow them up.

As far as kids slipping thru the cracks, it happens. I don’t know what you think we should do about it. Family commitments, money, travel, there are a myriad of factors that play into the equation. Life’s not fair, get over it. And to be honest, I never had much interest in playing with the “it” teams. They always seemed like a bunch of arrogant asshats to me. Is there D1 talent playing at at other levels, you bet. I’m not sure it’s a prevalent at the D3 level as you make it out to be. There’s a fair amount scattered around D2 and NAIA however. I don’t believe there’s great deal of D3 talent at the D1 level that was just over-hyped.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by C77fastpitch » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 am

I'm not a psychologist, but the phrase, "I don't like to burn bridges, I rather blow them up," may hold some kind of hidden key to your inner child.
C77fastpitch

by slapperdad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:35 am

C77fastpitch wrote:I'm not a psychologist, but the phrase, "I don't like to burn bridges, I rather blow them up," may hold some kind of hidden key to your inner child.

There's no inner child Dr. Freud. If you're going to lie to me or be unethical, I have no use for you. Nor do I have a problem expressing that. Hence, may as well blow the bridge up, because we're not going to be dealing with each other again.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by C77fastpitch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 am

Dr Freud, how quaint, a touch of sarcasm. I personally attempt to objectively judge different opinions strictly on its merits. To do this with any level of credibility one should have a background, experience, education, or both, in the field being discussed. When discussing softball for instance, I have trouble identifying with people that have neither played nor studied the game in great detail. I also find that many times those that have studied softball in great detail become over analytic , self absorbed , and nonsensical. Softball is a fairly simple game, with its own set of fundamentals that should be easily taught by good coaches. Though travel softball has its problems, it's still among this countries greatest endeavors and I love it.
Slapper-dad, you are a good writer and an intelligent person. I do disagree with you at times, but respect the way that you formulate your opinion. I believe you understand the game of softball, and have done much to enhance the softball experiences of many young women. I think I would have liked you for a coach, and I don't say that about a lot.
C77fastpitch

by slapperdad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 am

C77 you use your mouth prettier than a $20 whore. I believe we've reached a seminal moment in our relationship.

We can agree 100% on one thing, coaches WAY over complicate simple games. Softball is pretty simple, hit the ball where they ain't at, catch the ball, and throw the ball. And you're going to fail at those things on a regular basis, so lets learn how to deal with failure. But FWIW, I've never claimed to know jack squat about this game, or much of anything.

While I will admit to using a bit of Socriatic musings to illustrate my point, I'm a pretty black and white guy, who does understand there's gray in our world. You know last winter I got a letter from a kid I coached years ago. She's married and has kids now. The gist of the letter was she never understood why I was so hard on her. She never understood why everyone else seem to get a pass on loafing or whatever and I always singled her out. She said she just thought I didn't like her, or she wasn't one of my favorites. She said I finally realize now what your were doing, and I want to thank you for caring that much about me, even though I didn't understand it at the time. That right there is why I coached. There is NOTHING so gratifying as when you see the light go on. Even if it's 10 years down the road. It may have taken you a while C77, but you would have figured it out at some point.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by bigclemdawg » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

this thread got hijacked real quick
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by C77fastpitch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 am

My favorite 10u coaching statements. 1)"I want my pitchers to hit her spots."This is a great way to teach your pitchers to throw slowly. These young inexperienced little girls are so concerned about hitting their spots, they throw mechanically, slower with less accuracy. 2)"My girls can't hit slow pitchers". Please, what an excuse, like they would have a home run derby if the pitcher was hitting that 65mph clip. 3) "We didn't play our game."Our game means they won, if they lose it's because they didn't play their game. 4) "My pitchers want to throw movement." Movement, when they're 10u, instead of learning basic pitching mechanics, these kids think they're throwing drop curves.
C77fastpitch

PreviousNext

Return to CA