Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

10u Parents

by eddiez577 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 pm

in 10u pitchers are just coming around to hitting spots consistently, while still being able to field their position properly, and maybe throw that change-up once in a while while not giving up walks. 12u you start seeing pitch locations start controlling the pace of the game, speed of pitch vary, and some braking balls. Should be able to know the situation of position for bunts and slaps, and develop knowledge of pitch when there's a runner at 1st, 2nd and third, bases loaded 2 outs, etc. 14u you start to appreciate breaking balls and change of speed pitches, while adjusting to the mound distance. 16u and 18u is a beauty if your pitcher has been trained right.

10u parents, remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. Appreciate your athletes as they progress through the hardest sport ever invented, and the position most demanding. I've seen too many stud pitchers get burned out by 16u when all they knew at 10-12-14u was how upset their parents & coaches got by messing up "that one time".
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm

eddiez577 wrote:in 10u pitchers are just coming around to hitting spots consistently, while still being able to field their position properly, and maybe throw that change-up once in a while while not giving up walks. 12u you start seeing pitch locations start controlling the pace of the game, speed of pitch vary, and some braking balls. Should be able to know the situation of position for bunts and slaps, and develop knowledge of pitch when there's a runner at 1st, 2nd and third, bases loaded 2 outs, etc. 14u you start to appreciate breaking balls and change of speed pitches, while adjusting to the mound distance. 16u and 18u is a beauty if your pitcher has been trained right.

10u parents, remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. Appreciate your athletes as they progress through the hardest sport ever invented, and the position most demanding. I've seen too many stud pitchers get burned out by 16u when all they knew at 10-12-14u was how upset their parents & coaches got by messing up "that one time".

what do you mean my first year 10u DD doesnt need to throw 70mph and have 8 junk pitches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by C77fastpitch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Coaches too often of young and inexperience pitchers think they have nothing to do unless they are calling pitches from the bench. Forget the fact these young ladies can't even throw a fastball across the plate with any accuracy, they are suppose to deliver their fast-drop with optimum speed at any spot. Of course they can't do this, so now the coach thinks he has an excellent justification for the team losing the game.
C77fastpitch

by eddiez577 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

C77fastpitch wrote:Coaches too often of young and inexperience pitchers think they have nothing to do unless they are calling pitches from the bench. Forget the fact these young ladies can't even throw a fastball across the plate with any accuracy, they are suppose to deliver their fast-drop with optimum speed at any spot. Of course they can't do this, so now the coach thinks he has an excellent justification for the team losing the game.

I'm going to blow your mind right now, but hear me out. Technically, no games should be lost, and all games should be won. The only situation where a team should definitely beat you is if they are significantly better than you in all aspects of the game. All games for your team should infinitely be played at a 0-0 tie or a win. Now of course that is not the case most often than not, so the coach that can manage a game better will come out the victor. Managing includes using your deficiencies to your advantage, and not put your team in a position to fail. Coach at practice and manage at games. My $0.02.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:08 pm

eddiez577 wrote:I'm going to blow your mind right now, but hear me out. Technically, no games should be lost, and all games should be won. The only situation where a team should definitely beat you is if they are significantly better than you in all aspects of the game. All games for your team should infinitely be played at a 0-0 tie or a win. Now of course that is not the case most often than not, so the coach that can manage a game better will come out the victor. Managing includes using your deficiencies to your advantage, and not put your team in a position to fail. Coach at practice and manage at games. My $0.02.

eddiez, what the? 10u right?
so if the team is better than you, they will beat you, obvious...

Then what are you trying to say? That if a 10U coach manages their team better and uses their deficiencies against another team a coach can strategize to win...explain away eddiez...?

I get it, if your team can't hit then bunt a lot. But if you have deficiencies like can't throw, can't catch, can't field, can't pitch, what's your strategy to keep it 0-0 ....Go for it?

Funniest thing in 10U when coaches think the coaching title is a credential !
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Wins and loses have nothing to do with exceptional coaching, especially when your talking about coaching young kids. The idea should be to improve and inspire young softball players to become the best they can be. Great coaches are skill based, while reinforcing the ideas of sportsmanship and teammate responsibility. The best coaches are approachable, understanding and friendly, these are not weak qualities but instead portrays a person with confidence in what they're doing. To coin a phrase from one of my favorite movies as a child, " The Trouble with Angels","To bend but not to break.. to yield but not capitulate..to have pride but also humility". Although a coach with theses qualities does not see victories as a measuring stick of their own abilities, victories will come. Because these are the coaching traits that help foster the development of really great teams.
C77fastpitch

by eddiez577 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 am

Hinky wrote:
eddiez577 wrote:I'm going to blow your mind right now, but hear me out. Technically, no games should be lost, and all games should be won. The only situation where a team should definitely beat you is if they are significantly better than you in all aspects of the game. All games for your team should infinitely be played at a 0-0 tie or a win. Now of course that is not the case most often than not, so the coach that can manage a game better will come out the victor. Managing includes using your deficiencies to your advantage, and not put your team in a position to fail. Coach at practice and manage at games. My $0.02.

eddiez, what the? 10u right?
so if the team is better than you, they will beat you, obvious...

Then what are you trying to say? That if a 10U coach manages their team better and uses their deficiencies against another team a coach can strategize to win...explain away eddiez...?

I get it, if your team can't hit then bunt a lot. But if you have deficiencies like can't throw, can't catch, can't field, can't pitch, what's your strategy to keep it 0-0 ....Go for it?

Funniest thing in 10U when coaches think the coaching title is a credential !

Ok just cracked my fingers and neck ;)
Yes bunt a a lot to get runners on. Defense, have you pitcher try to throw strikes and have the batter hit towards your least suckiest fielder, either 2nd and play it at 1, or SS have them get force outs at 2nd assuming you're walking players often.
IDK, I've had alot of experience coaching Wreck-Ball years ago with every season starting with new players, so when all else failed, I strategized to make the pitchers throw to contact and have the fielders shine. By the end of the season, we were the scrappy team that would get up-by-1 victories in the playoffs :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 am

All in good fun
"wreck-ball"
Like the description
"least suckiest player"

Sounds good try to get your pitcher to not walk batters, and shorter throw getting the out at second base. Better than a coach who has infield throw to first base every time with runners on!
If they beat you with big hitting, at least they earned it!

Scrappy is better than crappy :P
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Hinky- Not sure what that means! If your pitcher is walking batters there isn't anything you can do immediately. Pitching successfully takes skills practiced over and over, it takes confidence and experience, it takes a coach willing to give you a chance and be patient. Again, good coaching is a combination of a lot of qualities.
C77fastpitch

by bigclemdawg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 am

When it comes to pitching i take this kind of approach when doing mound visits.... works for some not so much for others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUriNWUtnA
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA