Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

GA

Understanding GA???

by lvtwft » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 pm

I have a few questions to understand your state.

What part of the state are the more prominet teams from?

What are the bigger tourneys you all have to offer??

What affiliation do most the team partake in?(USSSA,NSA,ASA etc)

I appreciate all and any info.
Thank you...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by stevenr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm

The majority of the stronger teams come from the Atlanta area although there are several strong teams in the southern part of the state also. The largest tournament in Ga is the King Of The Mountain tournament in late March and is sanctioned under CSA (Camsports association) There were over 300 teams registered last March before the rains hit.
Camsports-usa.com
stevenr

by georgiahoo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:58 am

King of the Mountain (run by Camsports-USA) is the largest tournament in the state numbers-wise. The most competitive tournaments are the ASA qualifiers and ASA state, probably followed by USFA state. In ASA qualifiers you usually see around 30-40 teams in the older age groups, and maybe half that many in the younger. For some reason the 10U, and to some extent the 12U, teams in GA are more reluctant to travel.

In my experience, the best-run tournaments by far are the ASA ones. You usually get at least 1:20 minimum and often longer, entry fees are reasonable, and depending on where you play the gate fees are reasonable. Other organizations will charge higher or equivalent entry fees, will charge high gate fees for one-day tournaments, and will only give you 60 or 70 minute games.

ASA is the most popular sanctioning body, probably followed by USFA. Most of the "top" teams in the state usually are from the Atlanta metro area. Top organizations include Atlanta Vipers, East Cobb Bullets and Georgia Impact.

As far as I know there are next to no NSA and USSSA tournaments in the state.
georgiahoo

by Ga_Old_School » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:58 pm

LV,

Georgia is a State fully committed to ASA Softball.

The top three Organizations are:

Atlanta Vipers
Georgia Impact
E.C. Bullets

We are a State that is pulled in many directions by competing Associations. As Florida is overly committed to USFA, many Georgia teams see USFA as the pinnacle of Softball. World Series in paradise (Florida Panhandle) often draw teams away from ASA Nationals.

The King of the Mountain tournament is held early in the year and generally draws from the Southern States. When the tournament offered ASA Berths, it was a must attend. It has now been relegated to a "Bragging Rights" tournament for the 10, 12 & 14's. You wont find many A level 16's, 18 and 18 Gold teams. As Georgia High School ball is played in the fall, the spring and summer are filled with Qualifiers.

Georgia now has six berths in every age group. Behind CA, OH & TX, I think GA now has the largest ASA registration. We used to be split into two ASA Associations. One was Metro Atlanta ASA and the other was Georgia ASA. Prior to the roll up, The Atlanta Vipers and EC Bullets held a hammerlock on Organizational softball. With the roll up, The Georgia Impact has emerged as a viable option for teams not located within the old Metro ASA.

As Georgia has three identifiable Geographical regions, Mountain, Central and Wetlands, Georgia has three distinct areas of player concentration. The bigger teams are located within Metro ASA (Central). The teams located in North Georgia (Mountain) generally play within the Tennesse Fury Organization in Chattanooga. Teams in South Georgia (Wetlands) play within Ty Reitkovich Organization known as the SE Angels.

One of the most exciting things in Georgia softball is the partnership between The Atlanta Vipers and The Georgia Impact in starting "The Atlanta Legacy" showcase in 2009. With Atlanta being one of the most accessible travel markets, this is becoming a must attend for 16, 18 and 18 Gold teams. In addition to the Showcase aspect, it is also a great warmup for Nationals.

In 2009, Georgia sent a record 57 teams to ASA Nationals. With the success of the SEC at the Women's College World Series, we are seeing more players stay in state.
Ga_Old_School

Return to GA